Tourism Services Booking System
Role: Head of Design, part of the in-house agile development team
Responsibilities: Interaction, Branding and Visual Design, User Testing and Research
Design Tools: Illustrator, Photoshop, InvisionApp
- Complete booking solution for multiple accommodation providers
- Proprietary payment system
- Back-office area for multi-user availability management
- Subscription based SaaS multi tenant model
- Modern, responsive, fast, usable and customizable user interface
- Strong competition - building a better booking software for all type of tourism services could provide some advantage over competition in terms of features (most solutions are focused only on room bookings), but would end up being less affordable
- High marketing and support costs - suppliers were not showing any willingness to invest their time in updating an additional inventory system
- No market for a costly solution - the DMOs wanted to compete by focusing on their strengths - branding and destination promotion - and spend less on the online ecommerce
This way, Tourists would still book through the DMO’s website, but directly to the service provider. They would be able to add a room, a tour and a museum ticket to a single shopping cart and pay only once. Meta-engine would take care of the split payment and booking to different providers. Suppliers, on the other hand, will not have to bother to update an additional inventory, they will connect and use their existing favorite system. By putting the traveller directly in relation with the supplier, DMOs would cut on costs of bookings management.
This idea was following current trends, lacking competition and there was space for innovation.
Using iframe widgets as the simplest UI integration method was limiting possibilities of the UI design. I worked closely with front-end developers to ensure that the best possible solutions are applied.
In the tourism industry one of the top priority features is multilingualism. My experience in designing multilanguage products and my good knowledge of three languages helps me when designing and working with translators. As text is one of essential elements of UI, my concern is to understand, research and test translations.
I have designed and produced all marketing material, from digital assets (website, blog, newsletter, email signature, presentations, templates) to physical (business card, brochures, banners).