• Add to Collection
  • Tools Used
  • About

    About

    After exploring 3D printing on textile, I wanted to experiment printing graphics on footwear that wrapped around the entire sole and upper. I was… Read More
    After exploring 3D printing on textile, I wanted to experiment printing graphics on footwear that wrapped around the entire sole and upper. I was inspired by an upper that had radiating lines wrapping around the quarter panels and vamp. To me, the lines resembled a rib cage on the upper. I took that inspiration literally, taped a last and started drawing a rib cage around the last. This then lead to sketching the spine as the sole, the pelvis and tailbone as the heel collar for a completed shoe and look. I started working on this idea in late September and pushed myself to work quickly to finish the skeleton shoe in October for Halloween. Once sketched, I had to figure out the material's pattern around the graphics to make it look seamless. The shoe had to be constructed in three parts. The graphics to those parts were added in illustrator at first. There I could print paper variations to test the alignment of the graphics in relationship to their parts. Once the graphics were perfectly aligned, I generated a 3D file and printed the file with a Taz5 printer with flexible filament on to a black mesh textile. A few hours later, my print was ready to be cut in to its pattern parts and stitched. Now I am pushing myself in designing graphics that wrap around the entire foot with purpose. Read Less
    Published:
After exploring 3D printing on textile, I wanted to experiment printing graphics on footwear that wrapped around the entire sole and upper. I was inspired by an upper that had radiating lines wrapping around the quarter panels and vamp. To me, the lines resembled a rib cage on the upper. I took that inspiration literally, taped a last and started drawing a rib cage around the last. This then lead to sketching the spine as the sole, the pelvis and tailbone as the heel collar for a completed shoe and look. I started working on this idea in late September and pushed myself to work quickly to finish the skeleton shoe in October for Halloween. Once sketched, I had to figure out the material's pattern around the graphics to make it look seamless. The shoe had to be constructed in three parts. The graphics to those parts were added in illustrator at first. There I could print paper variations to test the alignment of the graphics in relationship to their parts. Once the graphics were perfectly aligned, I generated a 3D file and printed the file with a Taz5 printer with flexible filament on to a black mesh textile. A few hours later, my print was ready to be cut in to its pattern parts and stitched. Now I am pushing myself in designing graphics that wrap around the entire foot with purpose.