After the Elke caricature it was now a common practice in the method by which I developed these images. A very simple process of doing the pencil sketch as a guide, building the images on layers, and sampling the colours via found images on the web. Amy has a characteristic look and pose that makes it easy to turn a female figure into her. The hair is a feature that needed to be included, as her bee-hive is one of her calling cards. Apart from that her ethnicity creates certain facial features which were exploited, and using reference images the face was achieved relatively quickly. The second pencil drawing put her in the final pose, and due to the fact that it's not possible to find reference images of her in these awkward poses, then I employed the help of my daughter to get the hand shots just right.
The colourisation of the piece was quite easy, and I noted that it should take about 3-4 days to do all the painting. This threw me after the second day, when I realised the complexity of the tattooes that she has on both arms. Luckily I found a clever way to emulate these and it all came together in the same timescale I had predicted. The dress although not exactly the same as Amy's red dress, is typical of the type of clothes and the addition of the polkadots enhanced that 'Amy' feel.
The baby was literally designed by me, and although a few reference images were used, again, it was hard to find one in that pose, so I constructed it best I could using the references. As for the pram, this was in fact a 3d model that was used from Google Sketchup and simply posed in the right angle and exported out as a graphic for use in the composition.
File size: 588.3Mbs/1.54Gbs (open)
Layers: 57 uncompressed
Hours (Pencil): 10hrs
Digital rendering: 69hrs