Every project starts with measurements, lots and lots of measurements.
I actually used my iPad, a stylus and Adobe Draw to capture and add measurements to the image. I was then able to translate them into a scale model made of MDF and oil-clay.
An early stage of the scale model for the proposed project made of oil-clay, wire and MDF.
I use the technical information of the site and turn it into an accurate 3D model using Rhino 3D.
I began with a series of cross section lines of the trunk and tthe transition to the upper branches. I then turned the lines into surfaces that describe, what I hope, is a naturalistic tree form.
I had to also model the existing structures (the hanging lights, door jambs, door access, etc.) to be sure that I won't have problems during installation.
I used the surface model of the truck to create a cross section template that will form as the underlying structure.
The template is exported to Adobe Illustrator where I create a print file. I printed this at 36" wide at a local printshop.
I created a prototype out of 1/2" insulation board and wood dowels to make a test fit at the library. Accuracy of fit on the project will be critical.
Now it's time to get to work!
My brother was kind enough to lend me his Grizzly table saw, but it required some serious calibration. I ended up completely resetting the blade/miter assembly into the cast iron table...twice. It cuts beautifully now.
One of my favorite parts is buying lumber from a local source. The owner's retirement fund is in the form of a large warehouse full of gorgeous, full-dimension, kiln dried wood that was all locally sourced.
I could not have bought the initial 300 board feet with out the help of my girls. I think this piece was just a bit too big for AZ (Azlyn) though.