Students from Lammas school teamed up with This is Rubbish to do their part in raising awareness of food waste. Together we organised an event filled with spoken word, poetry and music to get the message across in an entertaining way. The refreshments were prepared from “wasted food” that was rejected by supermarkets despite it being perfectly edible and greatly enjoyed by our guests. Topping off the evening’s entertainment, a group of students performed a song carrying their message about food waste, which became this music video with the assistance of musicians and editors from Lammas. Our event, Eat My Words, also came third for the UN Environment Program’s Think.Eat.Save Student Challenge.
This is Rubbish:
This is Rubbish:
(14) he’s the editor who brings the banter when he’s in front of the computer.
(14) rapper and star writer of last year’s AYV entry. There’s more to come from him.
(15) pianist, singer and melody maker. Grade 7 in piano, he brings his professionalism to the mic and keyboard.
(15) singer and rapper. In the music video she shows her cool side, wrapping up the tune with the real facts to fight food waste.
(13) singer; a bubbly friend who's warm inside. She may seem shy but once you get to know her, she's a laugh a minute.
(13) singer; provides the cheeky energy. The camera loves her exuberance and sense of fun.
(14) editor and all-round technological genius. He's crazy about coding and is aspiring to be a professional gamer.
(13) lead singer; instrumental in developing the chorus. Watch out, music industry, this lady is coming for you!
(12) typographer; our conscientious artist added creative flair to the lyrics.
(14) rapper and our hype man; brings confidence and energy to the team and is always determined to use his talent to tackle injustice.
(14) singer; enjoys working with other talented young people. Being part of the song made her contemplate what she can do in her everyday life to reduce food waste.
(15) guitarist; you may not see his face but he developed the 'Brogan' chords to make this tune pop.
(11) rapper; there when you least expect it to cheer everyone on with his unique flow and endearing style.
(15) beatboxer; always smiling and delivering his infectious energy.
(14) drummer; when he's playing, he feels like he is melting into the skin and becoming one with the beat.
(14) singer; provides the inventive harmonies. She's our cariño bringing the fuego to the table.
(14) drummer, feels the beat with his whole being and is a true professional in the studio. An aspiring beatboxer and general rhythm machine.
Eastside Educational Trust