• Add to Collection
  • Tools Used
  • About

    About

    This is my first piece of Information Design. I took inspiration from David McCandless's book 'Information is Beautiful.' This project went throu… Read More
    This is my first piece of Information Design. I took inspiration from David McCandless's book 'Information is Beautiful.' This project went through a lot of development to get to this stage, as seen in the images below. I really enjoyed Information Design and look forward to doing more in the future. Read Less
    Published:
Information Design
This is my first piece of Information Design. I took inspiration from David McCandless's book 'Information is Beautiful.' This project went through a lot of development to get to this stage, as seen in the images below. I really enjoyed Information Design and look forward to doing more in the future.
Development
Below is the development of my idea on turning often hard to read statistics, into informative illustration on sustainability.
The first idea that I had was to produce a design based on how much energy is consumed, in each building type. This was my design, however after much of my own criticism of this idea. Specifically aimed at the illustrations and weakness of the information itself. I chose to look at another idea.
Stage 1 of 2. This design looked entirely at the emissions of each vehicle type. Already at this stage I felt as though it were a very common idea and not very powerful, it was very 2-dimensional. There was only one idea on the page so I felt as though I needed a new idea. However I developed one stage further.
Stage 2 of 2. I changed the colours and scaled the illustrations more effectively, to show the the difference in CO2 emissions for each vehicle.
Step 1 of 3 in the development of this multi topical page. It shows 4 different topics;


Each illustrated to show the effect of the statistics in visual form.
Recomposed, stage 2 of 3. Reordered page allowing for more effective white space.
Stage 3 of 3. I decided that this idea wasn't working and so chose some new information and spent more time on the design, as is visible at the top of the page.