For this project, we created a conversational print with motifs of our choosing; however, we had to incorporate at least one of the two assigned themes. In my case, I received 'optical' and 'moiré.' I decided to do an allover sushi print that shows the stages of a fish becoming a piece of sushi. I was attracted to using sushi because of the linear quality of the tuna and salmon meat used. The motifs are created with marker, silver marker, and inks. The background mimics seaweed, and the motifs are superimposed to enhance the optical nature of overlapping lines.
Above is the single repeat of the finished design. Below is the 2x2 repeat.
The two-color coordinate uses the seaweed motifs to create a positive-negative space relationship. The second coordinate is more graphic and brings the viewer back to the fish motif.
Below are two rough editions. I was working with different colored backgrounds, background textures, motifs, and pattern ideas. I ended up choosing black, because it really made the motifs pop and emphasized their line work. The salmon was left out in the end because I wanted to play more with the scale of the tuna.
The background textures in these two roughs were created with a linocut print that was put into repeat.
This is the linocut print below was used to create texture in the rough editions, but was not used in the final. I liked it, but thought it was too heavy and overpowering.
Below is some process work of motifs, and I pared down what I created for the final print.