Redesign and streamline the User Interface for NYU Email Direct
Email Direct is NYU's in-house bulk email application. The user interface was outdated and need some UX love.
The New User Interface
The Redesign Process: Paper Prototyping
I printed out the old design and cut it up into sections. I then rearranged the sections until I felt the new design pattern was a good fit for the application. I used a post-it restickable glue stick so I could easily move the sections around on the card stock.
Redesign Process: Mental Model
After using the email direct interface I felt the mental model was off. I looked at other bulk email applications for ideas and design patterns. Other bulk email applications often lead with the process of building a custom email template. We're providing the templates so that didn't make sense. Instead I focussed on email programs and I noticed that the fields on email direct we're in a non-standard order. They were also labelled verbosley.
I reordered and simplified the labels.
1. From E-mail Address
2. Subject Line
3. Body of Message
4. Recipient Groups to Target with the Message
Upgrading the WYSIWYG Editor
Reworking the 'From' Fields
Updating the To Field interaction