About Serranngoon Garden Village:
This project was a proposed shopping mall renovation concept in a unique and vibrant area in Singapore. At that time, there was a need from the community but the current building was out of date and did not serve most needed function in shopping, food and beverage well.
Existing Problems that Necessitate Design Solutions
- What strategies should be employed to attract shoppers from our area and from distant areas?
- What design details are is needed in order to maximize profits?
- How can we bring vibrancy to the neighborhood and ensure that families will enjoy their visit?
Those questions address user needs. As an architect, I needed to understand who those users are and what they will want.
About My Role As an Architect:
Before the design process began, my design team conducted research on the demographics and population in the area, analyzing their activities and the feasibility of their possible uses of the renovated building.
Understanding a User-Centered Design Method for Architecture
The graphic shown below contains my team's research on user needs, broken down by age segments: preschool, primary school, secondary school under 40 working class, middle age, and elderly.
Understanding the Local Urban Fabric to Guide Architectural Design
In addition to understanding future users and customer experiences, we also need to understand the surrounding area in order to create the optimal desgin.
The graphic shown below contains our main understanding of the design ideas with regards to:
- Sense of Place
- Sense of Community
- Buzz and Activity
Beginning the Design Process and How We Solve The Problem
Once the user needs and surroundings are understood, the design process can begin. Below are the primary design concepts.
1. A transparent facade will expose fun, interior activities to attract customers.
2. The glass facade will reflect the more conservative design of the existing nearby buildings, a dramatical effect that contributes to understanding of old and new.
And there it is, an design that understand users!