Last.fm has been my favorite music discovery online tool since forever. I've been a user since about 6 years and I have seen and enjoyed many of its changes, evolutions and even mistakes; and it has helped me to discover a ton of awesome music and keep a record of my tastes.
Last.fm was probably the first online radio to build a social network around it, and thanks to the Last.fm's API and its "AudioScrobbler" system, hundreds of smaller music websites could build specific music recommendations and solutions for users worlwide.
However, due to the raise and popularity of other services such as Spotify, Deezer, Grooveshark and others in the last 2 years, Last.fm has lost its appealing to the audience and its user interface has been trapped in a time capsule that doesn't encourage us to take a better advantage of all the benefits and goodness that Last.fm has to offer.
Ladies and gentlemen, this is my personal attempt to create a better last.fm.
Identifying the Problems and Flaws:
- Obsolete UI design built under older standards and not optimized for high resolutions or touchscreens.
- Current UI was built when the goal of last.fm was to deliver music. Nowadays its goal is more focused into helping people discover new music, so the UI should be more driven in that direction.
- UI is not very simplified.
- Current radio player plays Youtube videos, so it should be rethinked for that.
- Social features and user profiles are also obsolote and should be rethinked or simplified.
- To create an overall more simplfied UI with modern standards
- To create a more fresh and simple way to display artists, users, lists and all the contents.
- To improve the website's navigation and homepage.
- To improve the radio player UX
- To improve the users' profiles and get rid of outdated functions