• Add to Collection
  • About

    About

    Building a bow stabilizer and damper inspired me to paint my bow and purchase some upgrades to create a new archery experience.
    Published:
After taking my recurve bow out for the first time in many months, I was strongly dissatisfied with its accuracy as comfort so I delved into some possible solutions. Right off the bat I found that good arrows make a difference so I ordered some aluminum ones. I also found out that a large portion of the archery community online made diy bow stabilizers that prevent the bow from wobbling when you draw back and fire, and can provide some vibrational dampening. All you need is a hollow tube with some weights on the end of it, but some commercial versions can cost over $300! I found some thinwalled aluminum tubing at my town's recycling center, and I came up with a design incorporating flange washers and rubber washers for ultimate vibrational dampening. Another good tip I found online is to stuff the hollow tube with packing peanuts for more dampening. 
 
I searched to find what I should use to paint the stabilizer or "stab" for short, and the archery forums online swore by truck bed spray paint. They said it's extremely easy to apply and very resistant to peeling and scratching unlike alternatives such as plastidip. I decided to paint my entire bow with this textured black finish after sanding everything down and putting some detail work onto the riser (the wood handle portion) with my wood burner.
 
The difference between using the stabilizer and shooting without it is remarkable, and for $20 you simply can't beat it! Plus this was a fun project and I hope it will inspire other beginner archery enthusiasts. 
The initial design in my notebook with a blown up assembly.
Everything I have that will go into the final build all layed out on the table. The wood riser is seen in the upper left, the 25 lb. draw weight limbs on the upper left, and the materials for the stabilizer assembly on the bottom.
I bought a new arrow rest that swings out of the way to eliminate contact with the arrow fletchings. However the swing arm needed some extra clearance so I used a dremel tool to make an indentation. 
The front end of the stabilizer assembled and glued using jb weld. The soft rubber grommets inbetween the fender washers will be fantastic for absorbing unwanted vibration.
Stuffing packing peanuts into the tube of the stabilizer. 
Everything sanded down and taped off ready to get painted with the textured truck bed spray.
The pieces painted with two coats and the bow assembled.
A closeup of the texture I put onto the grip portion using a wood burning tool.
My name Adamu in japanese done with a woodburner before painting.
A spider got into my epoxy when making my stabilizer and I felt bad so I dedicated this bow to the little fellow. "The black spider"
The fully assembled and completed bow and stabilizer. I made a small peep sight to put into the bow string to calibrate with the scope mounted to the wooden riser, but the first time I tried to install it I broke my bow string. I ordered a new one, put on a D loop to act as a nocking point and to interface with my mechanical release, and installed the peep sight properly this time. I also made a wrist-securing strap out of paracord which matches the new aluminum arrows nicely.
This thing now shoots like an entirely different bow. It's just so stable, and using the peep sight after calibrating it has totally changed my archery experience.
The bow came out looking so great in black, and after buying a new string and arrows, it's so much more satisfying to shoot.
Not a great grouping, but still far better than before this project!