- Welcome to the When Nurture Calls campaign. This aims to protect a mother's right to breastfeed her baby in public by striving to pass the bill HB1706, which will protect breastfeeding mothers from harassment and discrimination when they choose to nurture their child in public.__________________________________________________________To start off, there would be print ads placed on the back of bathroom stalls. These ads create a "reflection" of the stall facing it, and show mothers who have been harassed to the point where they feel they have no other option but to nurture their baby in the restroom as to not offend anyone. The body copy on the ad reads:"Would you eat here? By law, breastfeeding mothers are not protected from harassment and refusal of service in public, often forcing them to feed in secluded spaces such as public bathrooms. Contact your state and/or local representative to voice your support for breastfeeding mothers, because a baby should never be nurtured where nature calls."**Please note that the logos used are purely for aesthetics. USBC, La Leche, and Borden have no actual affiliation with this project.
- Here is the Website that explains the basis of the Campaign:The campaign, theoretically, is a partnership with La Leche League and the United Breastfeeding Committee with Borden Milk and restaurants that support a mother's right to breastfeed in public. The website further explains that the donations and petition signing will help promote this campaign to pass bill HB1706; this bill will protect a mother's right to breastfeed in public and keep her safe from discrimination and harassment.
To see the website for When Nurture Calls, please visit http://whennurturecalls.org . It will tell you the information on this page as well as show you ways you can get involved with this cause.
- So how would you buy a carton of milk to help? With the support of restaurants that support HB1706 and a mother's right to nurture her child when she needs to, customers can purchase specialized milk cartons, provided by Borden, that represent 1/4 of a baby's daily milk intake. The money from these cartons goes to support the campaign and its efforts to pass HB1706.
- Along with these milk cartons would be table tents to alert customers of the campaign. These table tents tell that at the restaurant they are eating at, breastfeeding mothers will always have a table for her and her baby. They will always have a Table For Two.
- Now, how would mothers know where they and their babies are welcome? The final extension of the When Nurture Calls campaign is the Breast Friends app. This app would be specifically for breastfeeding mothers. Put simply, the app is a locator for nearby places and restaurants that show their support thought the sales of the milk cartons. The more sales of cartons, the more support the restaurant has and is more welcoming for mothers. Other features include tips for breastfeeding in public, and reviews from other mothers on places they have visited. Breast Friends also allows mothers to sign the petiton for HB1706 when they can't find any support near them. Overall this app aims to help make a breastfeeding mother's experience easier for her.
- © 2014 Johnathan R. Wenske and Kris E. Haro. All Rights Reserved. The images and text above may not be reproduced or used without permission of Johnathan R. Wenske and Kris E. Haro. For permission, please email Johnathan at firstname.lastname@example.org or email Kris at email@example.com.