- Pierre The MAZE DETECTIVE
- by HIRO KAMIGAKI & IC4DESIGN
written by Chihiro Maruyama
- From the book to the homepage, we produced all illustrations for ‘Pierre the Maze Detective.’ In this quest book, various mazes and objects are hidden within detailed illustrations. In order to recover the maze stone, stolen by Phantom Thief X, Pierre and his assistant Carmen (and the reader) must be challenged by mazes in different locations. Sometimes in buildings, sometimes in the sky, in the sea or the forest, each time you turn the page a new maze with new quests unfolds.
- The cover shows a maze so the type of book is easily identifiable.
- The 1920s-30s style of typography was chosen to reflect the era in which the book is set.
- How to Play & Table of Contents. The feeling of the book is introduced through the town illustrations.
- On the ‘Character Introduction’ page, seven mazes are hidden in total and provide practice on how to use the book.
- Garage of Pierre. Carmen and Pierre receive a challenge from Phantom Thief X.
- This page shows the museum from where the maze stone was stolen.
- The maze spreads over two pages. The quest includes a challenge letter from Mr. X and various hidden objects to search for.
- First of all, look for Pierre. Pierre’s character marks the starting point of each maze.
- On each page, follow the maze to Phantom Thief X. Mr. X’s picture marks the goal.
- In addition to challenges from Mr. X, there are requests from the museum director and other hidden objects to search for.
- Coming out of the museum, it is clear that the whole town has become a maze.
- On reaching each goal, a connection is made to the next page.
- Looking at the people around the merry-go-round and under the parasols we feel the passage of time.
- Configuration of all 36 pages.
- Official Site of Pierre
Although seemingly an ordinary page introducing Pierre goods, once you enter ‘Pierre’s Garage’ it is possible to get extra information, spin-off stories and new quizzes not found in the book.
- Making of Pierre the maze detectiveFrom sketch to finish animation.