• Add to Collection
  • Tools Used
  • About

    About

    This is a rough collection of pictures I was able to find on an old thumb drive. Most were taken with a state of the art Olympus 2 megapixel came… Read More
    This is a rough collection of pictures I was able to find on an old thumb drive. Most were taken with a state of the art Olympus 2 megapixel camera. ;) With them, I will attempt to outline my involvement in the building of a Grand-Am Series, GT class Mazda RX-8. Read Less
    Published:
INTRODUCTION
This is a rough collection of pictures I was able to find on an old thumb drive. Most were taken with a state of the art Olympus 2 megapixel camera. ;) With them, I will attempt to outline my involvement in the building of a Grand-Am Series, GT class Mazda RX-8.
This project was started by Cam Worth (Owner of Pettit Racing) and Joel Haas (Owner of Parametric Solutions Inc). Before I was invited to join this project, a new RX-8 had been gutted, scrutinized and the body scanned. 
Features:
1. Full Carbon Fiber Body
2. There is NO oil pan! The engine is bolted directly to the frames shear panel which by default also makes it a motor mount, oil cooler and technically an "oil pan". This dropped the engines center of mass several inches.
3. Direct port 3 rotor
4. Break away rear wing. 
5. Factory Rear RX-8 sub frame
6. Custom handmade Chromoly spindles
7. And many other hidden tricks I will only ever talk about with Joel and Cam.
Enjoy!
SCANNING THE STOCK BODY
The body was taped off to prevent scratching the paint with the Faro Arm tip.
This portion of the frame had already been completed when I started on the project.
Here is the RX-8 rear end and sub frame. We decided to use this sub frame in the in the race car.
CHASSIS BUILD
HERE is where I get involved! What an AWESOME opportunity!
TUNNEL, FIREWALL AND INTERIOR PANELS
Racing cockpits are tight, we pulled the driver closer to the middle of the car so human interface in this area is important. I suppose it’s only fitting that I do so much human interface design today.
I had to get the fit of the metal panels right the first time so I used cardboard templates to dial in the fit, location and seams before welding everything in.
FRONT SUSPENSION
This image shows one of the custom Chromoly spindles Joel designed (inside of wheel).
I had to be very careful to keep the temperature uniform while I was welding them. One person manned the rosebud while I welded and when we were done, we packed each one in hot sand to bring the temperature down slowly and uniformly.
REAR SUSPENSION
You can see an LVDT in this picture. Data from one on each corner along with a 3 axis accelerometer, and steering angle sensor was used to map out the characteristics of the car on each track so we could optimize the suspension for any given track.
EXHAUST
It took me days to weld up the exhaust but it was probably the most rewarding for it's complexity. 
Welding stainless steel tube requires an "immersion" shielding gas method so we had to come up with all sorts of caps, plugs and tubes to shield the inside of the headers. In the end, they came out great!
CARBON FIBER BODY
We did not make the body. It was beautiful, strong and well made.
HANGING THE BODY
WEIGHING THE CAR
SKID PAD TESTING
DYNO RUNS
Here is one of many dyno runs Cam did to dial the car in perfectly. The car was so loud that even in an industrial park, we had the police called on us... several times! Thanks for the video DAMDrivingschool.com
SPECIAL THANKS GOES TO:
Joel, Cam and I spent many long nights and weekends working on this car. I will forever hold these two in the highest regard for their brilliant minds, creativity, leadership and passion.