Resunate is a web application that can help you figure out how your resume will score for every job, and use different features to improve your score. Simply by copy-pasting a job description, Resunate uses advanced semantic matching technology to assign your resume a score very similar to the one most employers use. You can edit, add or remove stuff from your resume to see your score update in real-time.
A lot of users were having trouble understanding how to properly use the product. The biggest issues were updating resumes, stylizing resumes, and not sure how to properly utilize all of the applications features. The goal of this project was to relieve those pains with some tool improvements and redesign of the profile page.
To help explain the improvement I’m going to give you a quick over view of the Profile and the Canvas before the redesign. The Canvas is the workspace screen for an individual resume.
The Profile had a lot of elements from version 1 of the application. This is shown in how each experience is separated out into individual containers with rounded corners. The biggest issues users had with the Profile had been they didn’t understand it was the place that all new information for resumes had to be added. The new info would not push out to existing resumes. So if you would have to start a resume over if you wanted to add new info.
You could delete info from the Canvas, but as mentioned you could not add any new information. If you wanted to style words, like making one bold, you would have to do it with inline tags. The code for the tags was included in a help box. When you opened a resume all the tool palettes would be open default. A majority of users found this confusing, and it prevented them for utilizing all the tools properly.
We changed the Profile to look a lot more like a resume to create less of a separation feeling between the Profile and the Canvas. We also changed the name of the Profile to All Information and moved the resume selector and the button to access the All Information page down to the Canvas. This made the concept of having all your information in another area more intuitive.
A guide and step a path was added. This give users and order in which to utilize the tool, but it still allowed them to use them out of order. The biggest update was giving the user the ability to add new information to a resume directly on the Canvas. All new information would be pushed to a user’s All Information page. Unfortunately it still couldn’t push it to all the resumes though.
We utilized the module I designed for adding info on the Canvas for adding and editing all items on the Canvas and All Information. This edit palette included button that would add the inline code to stylize elements. So they no longer had to type them in themselves. Also all the palettes except for the job score were closed on default.
All these changes were initially concepts created through sketches. Then I designed wireframes and click through prototypes. Usability tests were held to test and iterate on all the new canvas updated and the All Information redesign. The majority of new features went through three iterations.