When Orlando City Soccer got the news they would be moving up from the USL to the MLS, the club knew they had better get their logo game on par with the rest of their soon-to-be Pro soccer competitors. To achieve that, they collected submissions from a number of local agencies. One of those agencies was Three21 Creative, who I worked with on this proposal.
The most important thing to accomplish was the design of the primary logo. The whole project would be for naught if the primary mark was weak, but on top of that, we also wanted to impress the team with a larger branding strategey. We wanted to develop a secondary logo, word mark, home and away uniform, and an idea for a marketing campaign.
1. Create primary logo
2. Create secondary logo
3. Create custom wordmark
4. Create uniform design
5. Create marketing campaign
1. Keep the elements that will work for the team in the MLS.
2. Evolve the identity to reflect a sense of pride, professionalism, and MLS quality.
3. Continue with lion mascot.
4. Keep shield containing shape.
5. Keep general color palette (but explore new colors).
I decided to change these identity characteristics:
1. Use 1 lion instead of 3 for stronger, simpler design.
2. Change “Soccer” to “Football Club” for more European brand.
3. Include a star in logo represent a USL championship.