Artur Janas's profile
BrightNetwork Dashboard Redesign
BrightNetwork Dashboard Redesign

Objective: Redesign and user test the member dashboard

Wireframes: conceptual wireframes on pen and paper, Miro boards

Tools used: Figma

After initial member dashboard has been designed by combination of third party and crowd sourcing within the company, the end result didn't get the desired feedback and market fit score.

Phase 1. Pre Ideation

I have started ideation few weeks before the decision was made to intervene and dedicate few sprints to the redesign and implementation. I had an idea to redesign the current version completely and try a different approach in an upcoming hackathon. I knew that current implementation had some issues that needed to be addressed. In the current version, users have two tabs to choose from - Explore and Apply. Explore is for users who want to learn more about sectors and jobs, and Apply consists of a number of jobs divided into sectors (screenshot below).
There are multiple problems I see with this design, but the key problem is that opportunities are ordered by relevance (an algorithm takes care of this, working a little bit like a black box). Now, I don't have anything against algorithms striving to serve the best content. I'm all for it. But the problem with UX is that there is no sorting on the jobs, and they don't seem to update in any sensible way. Users will pretty much see the same jobs in the same positions and have to scroll/swipe to find new opportunities, even after they have added some of them to the Career Calendar, which doesn't work like a shortlist. That means the user has no transparent way to traverse this list, and when they come back to the dashboard after some time they will not see the latest opportunities! 

I drafted a fundamentally different approach that I wanted to build during the hackday (below).


Phase 2. Ideation

Eventually, the PM decided to re-iterate and dedicate time to this issue before the hackathon happened.

I started off with creating three distinctly different designs using low fidelity wireframes and user tested them with about eight users (conducted all of the interviews). Two approaches were divergent, one was convergent. The idea was to look at the extreme approaches, see what works there and what doesn't. I ended up picking and choosing the best bits and implementing them into a convergent design that reuses currently implemented UI, because of the timescales we have to work with.

Often I would update the wireframes presented to the users in between sessions and adapt the sessions to investigate more and get the most out of the time with the test users. 
The users were always first familiarised with the current implementation, which they got me feedback on as well as the new concepts (below).
Competing concept 1 - compact lists replace the Swiper cards and pack lots of information into the screen. 
Competing concept 2 - the idea of a feed, which would remove the Explore and Apply tabs altogether and build-in exploration into opportunities details card. Users could use arrows to easily toggle between jobs. Feed would allow the users to see the latest opportunities first, and could order by closing soonest to apply for jobs whose deadline is closing soon.
Notes have been added to the wireframes after the interviews using Miro (below).
Phase 3. Findings

In this phase the PM and I analysed and organised the results into themes, which helped us with communicating the findings and creating a redesign rationale.

Key themes emerged around the current navigation and how the pills are a more familiar and intuitive UI, the need for more detail and information about career paths, example jobs, and example live jobs. 

The users were divided into two groups: those who wanted to see the categorisation of opportunities by sectors, and those who enjoyed the feed format. The split was more or less 50/50, and a clear correlation could be deduced. Those who liked the feed UI were graduates. Those who liked the sector split were still in education. The latter group was a better representation of a typical BN user. I have kept the feed and the ability to user test it (as well as hook up some Google Analytics) in the Apply tab, where all the latest jobs from all sectors would appear above the sectors, and with content ordering. 



Phase 4. Finally, I could spend some time and create high fidelity pixel perfect designs (below).
BrightNetwork Dashboard Redesign
0
9
0
Published:

BrightNetwork Dashboard Redesign

0
9
0
Published: