was a collaborative project with Kentucky for Kentucky
. I was asked to create classical Kentucky-centric illustrations to combine into a tiled pattern for print and fabric. The fine art print was produced in two colors, blue and red, featuring the "Kentucky, Est. 1792" monogram. The fabric items are in production.
Below are close-up views of the toile elements.
Right from top:
• the Louisville (Derby) Clock with native son Hunter S. Thompson and a Louisville Slugger bat.
• George Clooney
• Bill Monroe and Federal Hill ('My Old Kentucky Home') with the first few bars of "Blue Moon of Kentucky"
• Ale-8 (with 15 stars as Kentucky was the 15th state to join the union)
• Cumberland Falls with Daniel Boone
• a cardinal (state bird), surrounded by goldenrod (state flower), a basketball and stalking 'wildcat'.
Left from top:
• bourbon barrel with corn (the majority grain base for Kentucky bourbon)
• Colonel Sanders astride his 'steed', a proud hen, with the state tree (tulip poplar)
• a would-be mayor of Rabbit Hash (they've elected animal mayors since 1998)
• Loretta Lynn (Coal-Miner's Daughter) on a Consolidation Coal Company (her father's employer) coal car
• Muhammad Ali (with a butterfly and bee)
• pastoral thoroughbred scene with jockey