The 21 Day Upgraded Life Challenge:
An ADDIE Instructional Design Model Overview
Sarah Murphy, Instructional Designer & LX Manager
Background: Jesse Elder is a life coach, business coach, and social media influencer who inspires others to own their greatness and live life on their own terms.
Our team completed three challenge-format courses, with each one drawing in more students and yielding more profit at a better ROI.
1 . ) ANALYSIS
- Empower students to create the lives they want to live.
- Create a starter program to introduce Subject Matter Expert (SME) to a new audience.
- SME presents best in front of a live audience (virtual or in person).
- SME also wants to offer evergreen / asynchronous programs.
- SME has a large, global following, particularly on Facebook.
- "Challenges" are a popular and profitable virtual product.
- Given client's preference to teach to a live audience, the initial launch was synchronous in order to produce recordings for the asynchronous version of the course.
- Chose Facebook Groups for launch platform to promote student engagement, utilize live video, and keep content organized with "Social Learning Units" feature.
Timeline & Objectives Established with SME:
- Seven modules:
• Welcome & Orientation
• Five topics: Energy, Enlightenment, Economics, Education, Experience
• Celebration & Graduation
- 21-day timeline:
• Long enough to build habits
• Short enough to feel achievable
- Four days for each main topic
• First day - Facebook Live video lesson
• Second through fourth days - "ARC" community sharing days:
◦ Accountability - What you did
◦ Results - How it went
◦ Celebrate - Acknowledge work and success
- Accommodated students across worldwide time-zones by varying live lesson times.
Schedule & Modules:
Sample Module Content:
3. ) DEVELOPMENT
- Created temporary, private Facebook group to host live program, using "Units" feature to organize content into modules.
- Posted guides with calendar, resources, and more in the group.
- Directed visual design team to create branded graphics for each module.
- Designed branded module worksheets.
- Implemented systems and coordinated media team to reformat assets when new trainings were released.
Note: Given the live nature of the course launch, a lot of development happened simultaneously with implementation. I also evaluated and improved the course in real time as it progressed.
We intentionally created a template in the first challenge with efficiency in mind. For each following challenge, the team saved time by simply updating the dates and times as needed.
Sample Module Worksheets:
I designed materials in Canva, optimized for digital and print in both letter and A4 sizes for our international audience.
Sample project management process:
4. ) IMPLEMENTATION
Within the Learning Community:
- Coordinated team and tech for live lessons.
- Engaged community with progress check-ins and discussions.
- Offered one-on-one tech support as needed.
- Recorded and narrated "how-to" screen-capture tutorials.
- Extracted video, audio, and written content to publish on LMS.
Behind the Scenes:
- Collected data to evaluate and improve processes.
- Implemented support ticketing system in FreshDesk, trained team to resolve issues.
Sample Student Engagement & Feedback:
Note: These are direct screen-captures from Facebook, with identifying information removed for privacy reasons.
5. ) EVALUATION
During the Course:
- Quickly realized students would benefit from PDFs and printable worksheets, check lists, and note summaries.
- Created project management flow to design and distribute new materials as lesson were released.
- Collected student questions to build FAQ database with answers and resources.
After the Course:
- Collected testimonial content for future marketing.
- Reviewed feedback to improve and vary future challenges.
- Offered an opportunity to continue in a monthly paid program.
Based on student feedback, we:
- Created an email sign-up list to announce future challenges.
- Delivered lifetime access to the challenge content via LMS. (The Facebook group was closed for privacy reasons.)