Two years ago my bride studied at Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics. One day my attention was drawn by her timetable of classes. It was a printed version of MS Excel document which was downloaded from the site of her faculty:
 
 
 
I looked closer. There we had:
 
The point was, as my girlfriend explained, that students of BSUIR had different timetable for every week of four-weeks cycle. So in the column week you could find the number of the week when you had appropriate classes. If it was blank it, meant that you had this classes every week. That’s why time  of classes repeated in column hours (same hours, different weeks). Besides, all students in that branch were divided into two groups. If there were numbers in group, it meant that groups studied separately. If it was blank, it meant that they had classes together.

That timetable seemed to be too complex for ordinary student. It was like a cipher. So I decided to redesign it for my girlfriend to make her life easier.

First of all I changed especially odd (in my opinion) moments such as repeating mentions of the time of classes or combined numbers of buildings of the university and rooms numbers:
 
 
 
Then the main part was. I combined three columns in one clear structure: 
 
 
 
 
So the timetable became clean and clear:
 
 
 
 
But I should say that in one place  I had to make a small trick to keep the whole structure untouchable:
 
 
 

Result: my girlfriend admitted that the new version of timetable was much more convenient. She used it for the whole semester. Her classmates began to use it when they found out that it existed. And I believe that it was helpful for them. 

You also can take a look at the timetable in original size(.pdf, 492 KB) for print.
 
Timetable Redesign
64
1637
1
Published:

Timetable Redesign

Personal project to help students of Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics.
64
1637
1
Published:

Tools