President and Senior Designer
• Manage small design office; marketing, proposal writing, project management, client presentations, networking.
• Initiated and directed the design and production of the 100th Anniversary booklet for National Checking Company. Developed content, selected and retouched historic images, art directed photography, secured printing bids, supervised quality control.
• Collaborated with the client to develop the first national advertising campaign for National Checking Company that included creative concepts, design and copywriting.
• Awarded identity projects for three Northeast Minneapolis not-for-profit organizations: Northeast Minneapolis Arts District, Central Avenue Business District and 13th Avenue Business District. Projects included community meetings, surveys, logo design and development, street signage.
• Led the branding design for Public Art Saint Paul including logo, identity and marketing materials for public information, fund raising and special events such as the International Sculpture Symposium.
• Designed and produced consumer marketing materials for Xcel Energy.
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Senior Graphic Designer - Marketing
• Spearheaded the design of the IFAI 100 Year Anniversary Exhibit at the Specialty Fabrics Expo in Boston. Researched, gathered content, designed and directed production of a 20- by 50- foot exhibit of historic photographs and artifacts.
• Designed the IFAI 2012 Specialty Fabrics Expo marketing campaign with a unified look across a variety of formats including postcards, advertisements, brochures, booth graphics and web banners.
• Collaborated on concept development of the ShowStoppers awards competition at the IFAI 2012 Specialty Fabrics Expo in Boston, including logo design and promotional materials.
• Redesigned the Insiders section in the IFAI flagship magazine, Review, featuring IFAI Membership news.
• Completed over 200 projects in 12 months ranging from event promotion to exhibit design.
Roseville, Minnesota, United States
Johnston Design Office
Vice President and Senior Designer
• Managed the design and production of annual reports for Pentair Corporation. Defined design direction with client, wrote project proposals, art directed photography and supervised printing.
• Introduced digital design and production to the office and trained staff.
• Designed and produced corporate communications, identity and signage projects for Northern States Power, MacMillian Family, Unisys, Southdale Mall.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Principal, Vice President and Senior Designer
• Helped build the client base of the firm as it expanded from a two person studio to a staff of twenty-five employees.
• Developed the design concept for a major promotion for GE Healthcare’s CT 9800 MRI that led to significant initial sales.
• Designed and produced a booklet on the history of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Research, photo selection, design, production and printing supervision.
• Led creative concept development on projects ranging from annual reports to specialty product promotion for national brands: Sentry Insurance, Harley-Davidson, TDS, SC Johnson, GE Healthcare.
• Designed the 10th anniversary poster for R S + K Strategic | Creative that was featured in Graphis Posters 89, Graphis Press.
Madison, Wisconsin, United States