ipod! is a case study of Apple's iPod Nano media player based on use of gyroscope with improved solutions such as lock circle, separate indicator display and pocket holder, designed to maximize user's comfort while listening music outdoor.
The goal was to answer to Apple's design philosophy in the way that improves user's experience through remarkable simplicity of form. The design is based on design research experience with previous iPod Nano generations.
- The first advantage of redesign is screen that is putted bellow navigation space.
Such solution allows:
- Better ergonomics because fingers are more relaxed as they are closer to natural position.
- Better stability in palm because it's held by five instead of usual two fingers.
- Better visibility at sunny days because thumb will avoid direct sunlight reflections on screen by making entire screen visible as it is shown on photo above. Used with just one hand player doesn't need to be in front of the user's head during the navigation because entire display has good visibility even from wider angles of view.
- Gyroscope also allows to turn the screen in horizontal view for watching videos or images with support to both, right-handed and left-handed users. Gyroscope will also automatically rotate navigation commands by 90 or 180 degrees for easier navigation.
- Gyroscope allows it to be used in standard orientation because it would rotate view on the screen on every 90 degrees.
- Second advantage is that ipod! has a separate LED display which indicates time and battery status (with more battery levels) while main display is dimmed in order to save more energy. This way, on the main screen is displayed one more row on main screen because it doesn't display mentioned indicators which would be helpful for easier navigation and for displaying more info.
- Beside gyroscope and separate indicator display, other improved solutions are used to avoid other things that might interupt pleasure of listening. Solutions such as large circular lock scroll, and pocket holder needed to be used to avoid these situations.
Stereo output jack is also redesigned for communication with computer and recharger.
Locking the player is key feature that would avoid accidental pressing of buttons while it is stored in pocket or bag. For that purpose it uses scroll lock, large circular surface around circular touch pad that would lock or unlock the player easily with short spin because it is located under the thumb for rapid use.
- Pocket holder allows user to find ipod! easily because it could be attached to pocket, belt or bag.
It can be used rapidly and it won't bother users that has loaded pockets or bags.
By fitting the exact place, user will always know where it is and with only one move of hand it would be instantly ready for use.
- User has the comfort of use, and because it's name, it would be always displayed the same