- A PLAYGROUND FOR EVERYWHERE
University Of Applied Arts Vienna
Single Project - 4th Semester
spring term 2012
Industrial Design 2 - Studio Matthias Pfeffer
- My main challenge was to design a new playground for kids. I researched a lot and after conducting some interviews with parents, doctors and pedagogues, I came up with a new question: What is the playground of today? So I had to redefine the topic, because most of the people call for moving and learning in and from nature. This is due to the fact, that most of the kids actually play at home with there electronical devices.
So I tried to combine moving in nature and learning from nature with technology as a means of help.
Because technology isn't the problem per se, it is the missing movement.
For my concept called "forestbook" I tried to combine three services: foursquare, geocaching and foozkids.
My idea is a combination of:
- a community based website +
- a GPS device with child oriented interface +
- learning and gaming software.
- How do I play the game?
- The parents or older kids enter gps-data at the website www.forestbook.com to define explorpoints for example in a public park. Then the data gets saved on the device.
- Now the kid can start the game. He has to find the first explorpoint in this park so that the first exercise gets unlocked. The task is displayed at the screen and there are different kind of tasks.
- Solve task e.g. a photo task, where the kid has to catch a photo in the category animals, food.
- When the task is solved, he activates the location of the next explorpoint. Now he repeats the last three steps.
- The game is finished when the kid found all explorpoints in the park, or he can pause and go on another time when he visits this park.
- Together with the parents, he can check if his tasks where solved correctly. For the correct ones he collects stars for bonus games or other things. And can so level-up.
The game can be played in single or multiplayer mode with friends.
- www.forestbook.com is absolutely not like Facebook. It is the opposite.
It is like a special explorer club where only kids with the bought device can join.
They have a special access dongle to login and there is no huge amount of private data online, only the first name, gender, age and level of gameplay.
So the kids can find new friends to play with and do friend requests only with their parents.
You can see which level the kid has already reached by the current forest animal character assigned.
- PROJECT PROCESS
- THANK YOU!