- eBay Garden lab - Search Results Page R&D
eBay 2010. Exploring the future of searching eBay.
- In 2010 eBay launched the eBay Garden page, an area where experimental experiences and features still under development can be open to the public for testing and feedback, in the same fashion of "Lab" initiatives found elsewhere.
Below are two Garden projects I worked on: Streamlined Search and Integrated Finding Experience.
- 1. Streamlined Search - eBay Garden
I participated as User Experience Designer and Interface Designer in the Streamlined Search project. It was an R&D Agile Scrum project intended to rethink eBay searches. It displays real eBay inventory in a manner that provides speed, personalization, and facilitation of choice, by means of innovation, simplicity, efficiency, and removing the clutter.
- 2. Integrated Finding Experience (IFX)
This project is another exploration on the eBay search results page, leveraging some of the lessons from Streamlined Search R&D project.
This proposal addresses user needs identified on usability labs and home visits:
- wasteful back and forth between search results and item detail page.
- need to compare items in a easy way.
- need to save 'buying candidates' through several sessions until deciding for one to buy.
- save/share interesting findings for oneself and also for family and friends.
The solution was to create a finding environment where the main tools for decision making are at hand and integrated in the buying flow: a preview pane that does not cover information about the item, a collection tray for organizing and saving buying candidates and a simple compare feature to find a winner.