- making new stuff out of existing products
- Within American Express was a group of wild-eyed pirates who came together in a team called 'Amex Labs'. Their mission was to go long - to explore new products, services & paradigms. I was lucky enough to lead the Digitas team that partnered with them to in the design, prototyping & sometimes piloting of these ideas. Some lived. Some died.Some of the levers we pushed on included:
- Connecting Cardmembers to one another in new ways.
- Leveraging spend on the Card as an indicator of preference – and playing this back to its Cardmembers AND ITS MERCHANTS as such.
- Banging different offerings together (i.e. publishing with Merchant Services with American Express Travel)
Are all these sexy? Oh HELL no. Might they change the game for American Express? Yup. As Amex moves from being a payment vehicle to a membership brand, it is experiments like these that will make it happen. Not an ad that says “We are a membership brand” or “Members know” or “My life is… That’s why my Card is American Express”. What matters is a Cardmember’s experience. Their experience *today*. Because (to quote Mark Hurst), “all of that “brand-building” means nothing in a world where the customer experience means everything.”‘Nuff said.