- The building represents a replacement of an old bird hide, with its main function of an observatory. The new design is a powerful statement of sustainability while offering a variety of functions. The design of the structure recalls sharpness and dynamism. Its form emphasizes on today`s social structure within our capitalist community while reminding of the V -shaped formation of the birds in order to fly with less resistance.
The structure is built in order to increase the wind stream which goes through it, generating power. Another sustainable process runs on the roof, specially designed to collect rain water from the highest point of the building to the lowest one, which is then stored and reused.
- Although separated, the four parts of the building are visually and physically connected by the same progressing outline and the roof structure.
- The structure is built gradually so people are able to enjoy observing from a variety of heights as well as avoiding visual contact with reeds that grow over the summer.
- The building offers a feeling of being in a closure, protected from the outside conditions. It also introduces a seasonal journey to the visitor. Each of the spaces represents a season with its colour theme and function.
- 1.The seasonal journey begins from the Winter zone. The education area includes a library and the so-called `Dark room` where videos and documentaries are being projected. The colour pallet is brown-grey and cold blue bringing contrast between the two functional zones.
2.The experience continues with the Spring zone which represents the Observatory. Its key emphasis are the translucent partitions which illustrate different colour pallets when the sunlight goes through them - the north one projects the colours of the rainbow; the south one projects the colours of the sun from its sunrise to its sunset.
3.The third part of the journey is the Summer zone with all the vivid colours of the nature. Its main function is to be the 'Playground' for the kids. The children could play `hide-and-seek` while educating themselves with the books and toys provided.
4.Last but not least, is the Autumn zone - the end of the visitor`s seasonal journey. It is quite a small area, interpreting the end of nature`s life. The pallet of the lounge represents golden fallen leaves and pale forest colours.