- Wasp Toy2009Design challenge for UNGA toys
- While applying for a internship position at UNGA toys I was asked to come up with a toy concept within 24 hours.Inspired by the aesthetics of the vinyl designer toy scene, I proposed this rotocast, fully poseable and modular toy
dowload .STL files at: http://www.designoteca.com/designs/30
Designoteca is a free Open Design Platform, currently geared towards the Portuguese-speaking marketwhere designers can license their designs for digital fabrication.
- I faced this project more as a sculpture, rather than a typical figurine toy. Insects and their segmented, rigid bodies translate well into articulated figures and stylized aesthetics, which helped with the decision.I was motivated by the fact that many animal-inspired toys are based in a few common contestants (e.g. bears, monkeys, dogs, etc). A wasp toy, especially in the terms of this Wasp Toy was something I had not seen before.
- When choosing a topic, theme or character for the project, I turned to the wasp, the fighter jet of the insect world. Not only its lines are sleek and elegant; as a predator, it commands respect.In the rich world of designer toys, strong, audacious character is of capital importance, in order to get visibility
- The Wasp is completely modular, with its seven different types of parts being swappable and costumizable for color, decoration or specia leffects (e.g. clear plastic or glow-in-the-dark).Furthermore, the rotocast producing technique and the limited number of parts help keeping production prices down.
- As a sculpture, Wasp was always intended to be expressive through its lines, but also its pose. The ball and socket connections between head, wings, abdomen and torso allow for a wide range of postures, conveying different meanings (e.g. readiness, hostility, shyness, etc).
- UNGA often develops branded toys as promotional gifts, so I made use of the large flat areas of the Wasp Toy as potential decoration or branding support. Premium space are the wings and abdomen, but other flat areas can be used in interesting ways. Personal decoration and modification is also made easier this way