Turkey 2010 Basketball World Championship
- Digital Art ServedProject Featured On:Digital Art Served — 7/9/11
- This is a project I've been working on recently. I enjoy analyzing art movements, collecting elements from these movements and developing new techniques as well as being attracted to major sporting events like the FIFA World Cup and the FIBA World Championship. I think it's at these events that people present the best part of themselves and their culture. This series of illustrations is the outcome of all these interests combined. More specifically, it focuses on the current buzz going on in Turkey - the hosts of the FIBA World Championship. Turkey is a place where East meets West, so I felt it appropriate to combine Western elements taken from Cubism and Futurism with colours that are commonly seen in Eastern structures - like turquise, pinks and variations of red.Although these illustrations only cover athletes from Greece (my homeland) and the US (my favorite basketball team and most probably the winner of this Championship), I hope to create a set of all 32 participating countries....that might take forever, but lets see.Hope you enjoy them!
All illustrations have been created using a personally developed technique of scripts and hacks, and of course loads of patience in Synthetik Studio Artist, the Adobe Creative Suite and the Apple Quick Time Pro platform.
- A tribute to Balla, Sironi and Duchamp and the theories of Nino Di Salvatore, Bruno Munari and Rudolf Arnheim.
- Illustrations that combine the Neo-Furistic Vector Technique with my passion for Mosaics and collages. American athletes created from US landmarks and Greek players made from beautiful scenes in my country.
- All 6 illustrations are created to be used in huge sizes (posters, murals). In order to have an idea take a look at some close-ups.
- You can download the original size of these illustrations from my Flickr photostream by visiting my Colors of Basketball 2010 set. You will have to be a registered member to download the files.
For these illustrations I have used photos of basketball players shot by Matthew Jacques, Marty Ellis, Kenn Inness, Richard Paul Kane, Hoops Photos and Klearchos Kapoutsis.All landmarks photos are legally downloaded from Shutterstock, Stock Exchange (SXC). Unfortunately it's impossible to name the hundreds of photographers whose photos are presented in the collages. Hope you understand.
All illustrations are licenced under the Creative Commons license scheme 2.0. You can download and use these digital files for your NON commercial projects but you will have to credit me. More info about the license.
Thanks for your visit and your comments.
Charis Tsevis, September 2010