- Tilcon New York Inc
Summer 2011 Internship
- Tilcon is a construction materials company with multiple New York and New Jersey operations that include quarries, asphalt plants, recycling plants, water terminals, and a highway construction division. They provide millions of tons of crushed stone, asphalt, sand, gravel, and recycled material to their markets.
Each day I loved working both in the public relations and marketing office as well as out in the field with my hard-hat, safety glasses, and steel-toed boots.
Some of my tasks and projects included:
- corporate photography of the quarry, machinery, and associates.
- managing the books for the company's monetary and material donations.
- bi-weekly meetings with an advertising agency to develop a new ad campaign.
- drafting documents and award applications
I was asked by the Vice President of Tilcon to assemble materials for the National Asphalt Pavement Association's Safety Innovation Award. This prestigious award goes to the most revolutionary safety product in the nation. I assembled Tilcon's application which featured the "Portable Telescoping Possum Fall Protection System." I was able to shut down a part of the quarry to stage a photoshoot with the safety device and some of our most expensive machinery. In addition to the photography, I authored supporting documentation and write-ups about the impact the device would have on the safe operations of the industry.
For the first time in Tilcon's many years of submissions for this award, the safety device took first place in the competition. An article I wrote about the device has since been released in Tilcon's parent company's international publication, "Contact."
Below are the submitted photos of the safety device and photos from the award acceptance.