- The Rebirth of Saint Luke's Hospital
photography by Lauren Pacini
Cleveland General Hospital was founded on January 30, 1894 and opened with 75 beds, on Woodland Ave. near E. 20th St. The hospital's main purpose was to provide clinical training for students from the Medical Department of Wooster University. In 1906 Cleveland General, by then affiliated with the medical department of Ohio Wesleyan Univ. was renamed St. Luke's Hospital. In 1908 the hospital moved to a new 120-bed facility on Carnegie Ave. near E. 66th St. In 1927 into a new facility, largely financed by Elisabeth Prentiss, on Shaker Blvd. near E. 116th St., which was closed and has remained abandoned since 1999. Today the magnificent building is undergoing historic renovation in preparation for its new life as an affordable senior living facility. A complete gallery of photographs can be seen by clicking here.