The Kuthor School is an organization that I founded with my brother Alec Mackenzie, in the summer of 2008.
Along with the immense help of our school in Beijing, China (Western Academy of Beijing) and our close family and friends, The Kuthor School has benefited from everyone's support in ways we cannot imagine.
I started off raising money for the school through the sale of my paintings and photography, and along with my brothers passion for film we began to raise awareness of the Kuthor School's plight and the ways in which we wanted to help. Through formal presentations, art auctions and fundraising, The Kuthor School has raised $30,000 to date.
One of the most crucial aspects of fundraising is inspiring people from all different backgrounds to help. The Kuthor School has benefited from money raised by a Church Group in Australia, Girl Scouts in America, Elementary Student bake sales and individual donations from people around the world!
The Kuthor School is located almost 5000 meters above sea level in a remote area of Qinghai province- a 4 day drive from the nearest airport. Although this area is geographically a part of China, the ethnic majority is Tibetan. With average temperatures falling as low as -5°C to -8°C, and an infant mortality rate of 1 to 3, the standard of living in this region is very low. Children typically end schooling at the age of 14, dedicating their time to working in the fields. At the moment we are focusing on improving the children's means to education and proper sanitation , as well as access to general necessities such as clean water and electricity. Due to the remoteness of the school, access to these necessities are not always steadily accessible.
Progress to date
- New foundations for the school
- Classrooms (Desks, blackboards, books and other supplies)
- Dormitories (Beds and blankets)
- Library (Shelves and new books)
- Stoves for cold winters
- Clothes from WAB clothing drive
- Hydro electricity system (made possible by the WAB senior class of 2011 who raised 40,000 RMB (6350 USD) to provide electricity to not only the school but surrounding villages)
Aspirations and goals
Using the Visual Arts to promote a cause/project you believe in
- -Clean water (Currently working with R.I.S.E China, an association affiliated with Qinghua University in Beijing, China which promote sustainable development in rural areas of China. In the hope of constructing biosand filters to provide clean water for the Kuthor School.)
- -Improving means to education to provide a future for the children.
To view more photos, click here
Kuthor School photos published in Western Academy of Beijing Photography Book.