- The Economist
Join The Global Conversation
- We launched a new campaign for the Middle East, based on the region’s positioning ‘Join the global conversation’. The campaign was launched through a series of print ads.The sign off at the bottom of each ad said 'What's you view? Join the global conversation by voting 'x' or 'y' at facebook.com/theeconomistmena ('x' and 'y' were the two characters featured in the ad. E.g. 'Bull' or 'Bear', 'Child or 'Mosquito').
- The campaign also went outdoor.
- Conversation Coasters were also created and distributed in cafes and restaurants across the region to engage people in topical debate. Each side of the coaster posed an opposing stand point on a global issue.
- A Facebook page was also set up, giving people a forum to discuss both global and regional issues, as well as casting their votes related to the print ads.
- Online web banners gave further support to the campaign.In one, a character walks across the screen and interacts with President Sarkozy claiming 'Our arms are open to refugees.' The character knocks on the door of the banner but is not allowed access.Users are then asked their view and prompted to the Economist Facebook page.
- In another, it is claimed that deforestation is good for Brazil's economy. The vertical banner then falls like a felled tree, and a squirrel poses the other side of the argument - 'It destroys the ecology'.Again people are prompted for their opinion and lead to the Facebook page.
- Please watch the video