Showcase & Discover Creative Work Sign Up For Free
Hiring Talent? Post a Job

Bēhance

Tenacious D(ogs) - Art (batch 1)

  • 55
  • 1
  • 0
  • For my final year in school, I had to come up with a year-long business project that could be anything media-related. Since I love dogs (I had two of my best friends die within this same year, 2012) and Andy Warhol's silkscreens (not sure I would like him as a person though), I decided to come up with a series of silkscreen portraits of dogs.
     
    And not just any dogs, but animal shelter dogs from Noah's Ark or NANAS (Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary), located at Pekan Nanas in Johore, Malaysia. This was with a view to donating half my profits to NANAS for these dogs' (and other animals') expenses.
     
    This was my first foray into silkscreen printing so it was trial and error all the way.
  • _____________________________________________________________________________________
  • First, I photographed a sample of dogs, portrait-style, at NANAS. This reddish brownish dog is an example.
  • Next, I transformed them into black and white photos, and heightened the contrast. I then got them printed out onto transparencies.
  • These transparencies would be emulsified onto silkscreens, and thus printed onto canvas panels.
  • This is the emulsification process at work.
  • As you can see, my first attempt failed, because the shopkeeper forgot to tell me that if a sensitiser of a particular brand runs out, I shouldn't mix and match it with another brand's photo emulsion because apparently each brand uses a different mixing ratio :S
  • I didn't want to waste any more money or time, so I got the silkscreens done professionally instead, and voilà, I was on my way. What you see are paintbrushes, a squeegee, silkscreen ink, canvas panels, and some contraption I borrowed for holding down the silkscreen.
     
    (Turns out I didn't need the contraption since the silkscreen automatically stuck to the canvas -- just had to peel off the canvas with my hands.)
  • One of my first few (failed) creations. I underpainted the background before printing the dog onto the canvas, but I guess I uninintentionally cropped off this poodle's head and chest too early (and there was too much going on in the background to make out what the background looked like, so I had to paint it all out, adding to the sloppiness).
  • A better attempt, although I can't see Long Jean's eyes.
  • A test print to compare which contrast would look better on transparency (three guesses for which one ended up being chosen).
  • The finished work. He was a rather orange-brownish dog to begin with, which is why I wanted to paint him orange.
  • A few of the underpainted canvas panels waiting to dry.
  • Ta-da, the finished samples of batch 1 :)