- A wonderful and purely authentic exhibition to mock the absurdity of mass tourism and how it reduces a 1000 travel experiences into 1 standardized model.
Final year thesis project - BA (Hons).
- Since 1961, the collector Tiphaine Guillermou travels in the most visited corners of the planet in quest of authentic ethnic objects, totems or souvenirs which stand out for their unique craft and savoir-faire.
Gathered here as a collection and sorted by themes, they recreate the visual experience of a journey.
The public is invited to see allegedly unique and authentic pieces, staged as in an ethnographic museum or a cabinet de curiosités.
Thus mis en scène, they lead the visitor to wonder about the discrepancy between their true standardized nature and the way they are represented. Just like when we travel, what we see is nothing but genuine. It is all fake pretending to be true.
Through this Collection, the essence of mass tourism is thus revealed in its standardized, absurd, absolute form.
- BUY A SOUVENIR
- Object of interesting glittery aesthetic canons that a visitor brings back home, the souvenir has no other use than being a physical support to set the tourists’ memory of a travel.
- SEND A POSTCARD
- Unlike normal postcards, the touristic dream is not promoted by an idyllic scenery or a mythical monument.
Here, it is something purely materialistic.
In this world lead by money, dreams belong to the ones who pay.
- MEET THE LOCALS
- The collector had the immense opportunity to meet locals and watch an ethnic village perform their traditional lifestyle in the human zoo they live in, completely untouched by our modern civilization.
Tiliwa (below) belongs to the Hadza ethnic group. He and his people are hunter- gatherers, and occasional heavy drinkers.
They still wear their traditional outfits whenever the guides pay them
to hide their watches and jeans to dance for the dumbfounded visitors.
- VISIT THE MONUMENTS
- The authenticity and genuine character of touristic sites constantly stimulate our senses, with advertising signs for massages and car rental, and the tastiest local food delights –Mc Donald’s, pizzas and TexMex– provoking our delicate nostrils.
- THANK YOU FOR TRAVELLING WITH USPLEASE COME AGAIN