- SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEFan anthropological reportage about body suspension rituals
- "The moment feet leave the ground, the world changes. It's just like, by breaking the link between body and soil, you could also get rid of a burden deeply rooted in human nature, completely changing your point of view on reality"
These are the words I chose to open the upcoming book I've been working on for the last three years. It's been a huge project, set between Italy, Norway, Croatia and Serbia. I spent these years travelling from one place to another, getting to know amazing people coming from all over the world and, most importantly, from cultural and emotional spaces that I couldn't even think of.
This book tells the story of my journey through rituals of body suspension, but above all it tells the story of those people that took my hand and showed me the way.
- Body suspension consists in, literally, hanging from metal hooks placed under the skin. As intense as it seems, the practice has a lot of ecstatic beauty within itself and most of the times it's peaceful and soothing.
- Rituals of body suspension come a long way from the past, some of them even predate written history. Their study is a complex task I faced with neutral eyes. The first time I got in front of a suspension I had no idea of how I would have reacted. And what happened was surprising, indeed.
- In three years I got from total ignorance to deep understending of what suspendees go through during suspension and why they develop that strong bond both with the practice itself and with other practicioners too.
- What I learned from my journey has now become a book. Despite a lot of appreciation from the big names of the reportage industry, I didn't find a suitable publisher for the project, so I decided to do everything myself and i chose self publishing.
It's a hard choice indeed, but there's too much to show, to share and to tell.
Most of the informations regarding the book can be found on this Facebook Page. Facebook had a pivotal role in allowing me to get in touch both with leading figures in the suspension community and keeping all the people I knew around Europe close to me.
- As I write, the book is almost complete. Texts are being double checked through a second series of interviews with the big names in the community, pictures have been selected and edited into the layout and everything is coming along pretty well.
The emotional feedback of this long journey becoming a real book is overwhelming. I hope that many of you will take that little, needed step beyond the fear of what you can find in this book, because there's only one thing you, no matter what, will find in these pictures.
- UPDATE: on March 6th 2013 the ebook Suspension of Disbelief is finally available for purchase! Get your copy on Lulu.com!
Stay up to date with all the news and bonus content from Suspension of Disbelief.
Like the project page on Facebook: Suspension of Disbelief.
(...and remember: a self published book needs your help. Buy the book, appreciate the project on Behance and share it as much as you can!)