Stradun, or Placa, is the main street in Dubrovnik, Croatia. The limestone-paved pedestrian street runs 300 meters through the Old Town.
Stradun stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Two 15th century fountains are situated in both extremes: Large Onofrio's Fountain in the west, and Small Onofrio's Fountain on the east end.
Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th-century. After the devastating 1667 earthquake, most of the buildings in Ragusa (as Dubrovnik was called back then) were destroyed. Following the earthquake and fire, the Republic of Ragusa passed a new law which specified the layout of all the future residential buildings constructed in the city.
The result: all of the 17th-century buildings lining the Stradun share the same pattern:
-The ground level always housed a shop with a street entrance featuring a door and a window in a single frame under a semicircular arch, and a storage room in the backwith a separate alley entrance.
-The first floor was served for the living area.
-The second floor had various rooms.
-The kitchen is allways situated in the loft above the second floor, to prevent the spread of potential fires.
In recent times, the Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik (1991-92), but most of the damage has been repaired since.
Text from Wikipedia