- Art Center GalleryProject Featured On:Art Center Gallery — 4/23/12
- Starbucks Prive Coffee Maker
A premium coffee maker for the home based on the clover technology
- Starbucks Privé Clover is a part of a line of home coffee brewing products designed to target the premium home coffee drinker.Strategy:Starbucks has a loyal following of customers. The baristas are trained to educate the customer about the finer points of brewing the best cup of coffee. The strategy was to extend these established high quality brewing methods to the home through affordable machines made by Starbucks. The Privé Clover was one product in a line of products designed by a team.
- The coffee made from a $11,000 Clover coffee machine was touted by the CEO of Starbucks as "the best cup of coffee I have ever tasted" and he bought the company that made these devices. The working of the machine can be seen in this video.
- Prive Clover:The original clover machine is large and has an expert interface (it was designed for commercial use). The design of the home version of the Clover machine used a similar mechanism but the size was reduced in order to fit a kitchen counter comfortably. The ergonomics of the machine ensures a good experience throughout the process.
The interface to make coffee was abstracted to an iPhone application. The application would allow you to brew your favorite type of coffee without the need to remember the settings for the brewing cycle. The app would recommend new coffees as they are released by Starbucks (promoting sales). If the user had his own blend of coffee, he could take it to a barista in Starbucks to create the ideal settings for the perfect brew and send the settings to your phone.