- Spitzee Crossing 680 ac Master Plan
People Places Design Inc. collaborated with Longview Planning & Design for this mixed use development including commercial, office, recreational, school, apartment, townhouse, and single family residences.Role: Provided topographic and drainage analysis, conservation area analysis, stormwater management conceptual design, open space design, and hand renderings. Collaborated with Longview on built form and neighborhood character precedent research, , street typology design, and master planning.
- This complete community is supported by amenities like open spaces, parks, and institutional uses like schools, churches, and continuing care facilities to allow residents to age in place. The grid-based design is an intentional deviation from typical suburban design, centred on short blocks to create a high-quality walking experience on as many streets as possible.
- The vision is that by the year 2030, this will be a vibrant community including 5000 plus homes, 12 000 residents, and 2 400 jobs.
- The immense amount of surface parking required by mixed use schemes like this can be daunting, but was handled by internalizing parking on 'B' streets, and fronting buildings on high-quality pedestrian oriented 'A' streets.At the core of the plan is the village centre, including a special High Street that deviates from the grid slightly to highlight an interesting and very pedestrian oriented area. At the confluence of 2 streets at the centre of the retail experience is a public plaza, a vibrant people oriented place where people can socialize, soak up some sun, and relax.
- A big part of the open space strategy includes conversion of Longview Trail into a narrower, residential scale street that fronts onto a linear parkway featuring a stormwater conveyance and infiltration swale.