White chocolate and lime mousse with red wine and cinnamon sauce on puff pastry
Shades of Winter is a luxurious dessert for a romantic dinner on a cold evening. It features a brilliant wintery combination of a spicy cinnamon and red wine sauce melded with a delicious smooth white chocolate and lime mousse on a bed of crunchy puff pastry.Ingredients
Serving suggestion with raspberries and blackberries.
White chocolate and lime mousse
- 200 grams of milk
- 40 grams of sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 leaves of gelatine
- 480 grams of white chocolate
- Juice of 3 limes
- 330 grams of whipping cream
Red wine and cinnamon sauce
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 75 grams red wine
- 1 stick of cinnamon
Method for mousse
- Soak the gelatine in cold water for 20 minutes.
- Mix egg yolks and sugar. Bring milk to the boil and stir half into the egg mix.
- Pour the egg mix back into the remaining hot milk, stir the milk constantly using a rubber spatula while cooking to 82ºc.
- Strain the gelatine and whisk into the hot mix.
- Pre-melt the chocolate, strain 1/3 of the hot mix into the chocolate and stir energetically from the centre using a rubber spatula, repeat the same procedure with the other 2/3 of the hot mix.
- Add the lime juice and blend using a hand blender.
- Whip the cream three quarters of the way and fold gently into the mixture using the spatula.
- Allow to set in the fridge for 3 hours before serving.
Method of puff pastry
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc.
- Cut the puff pastry to the desired shape, place on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 8 minutes.
Method of sauce
- Melt the sugar slowly to a brown coloured caramel, gradually add the red wine and the cinnamon stick, simmer for 7 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the fridge for 1 hour before using.