Jigorō Kanō (嘉納 治五郎, Kanō Jigorō
In February 1882, Kano founded a school and dojo at the Eisho-ji
), a Buddhist
temple in what was then the Shitaya ward of Tokyo (now the Higashi Ueno district of Taitō
Iikubo, Kano's Kitō-ryū
instructor, attended the dojo three days a week to help teach and, although two years would pass before the temple would be called by the name Kodokan
(講道館 Kōdōkan ?
, "place for expounding the way"), and Kano had not yet received his Menkyo
, certificate of mastery) in Kitō-ryū
, this is now regarded as the Kodokan founding.
dojo was a relatively small affair, consisting of a twelve mat training area. Kano took in resident and non-resident students, the first two being Tsunejiro Tomita
and Shiro Saigo
In August, the following year, the pair were granted shodan
, first rank) grades, the first that had been awarded in any martial art.