- [Samsung Laptop Design]
M.Sc. Advanced Product Design,
University of Wales Institute, Cardiff
Form, Shape and Colour Design project - 2011
A live project for the Samsung Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea.
- [The Brief]
Develop a new design concept for a SamsungNotebook PC that embodies your design philosophy and which also reinforcesthe new brand identity.
- [Early Sketches]Early sketches of a Samsung business laptop before research just to explore ideas
- [Group Project Phase]
- [Market Segmentation]
- [Focus Groups]Brand Deconstruction Tool with selected focus group from the target market
- Analyzing and summarizing focus groups 1 and 2, a Samsung business laptop shall be:
Elite & Dynamic
- [Concept design brief]According to form form alignment methodology, developed by Prof Hyun Kim, Korea University, an Elite and Dynamic Design should include:- High degree of curvature- Length and texture- Emphasis of details with regularity and repetition- Sense of stability but movement- Surface pattern.However, it will havean absence of:- Thickness, weightand bulkiness- Contrasting features
- [Individual Project Phase]
- [Design Consultancy Group]The concept design brief was given to a group of undergraduate students with guidance and supervision of me, as a design team leader, to form a design consultancy group.The group produced number of ideas on sketches and basic blue foam prototypes and were guided to develop their ideas towards the right track that serves the design philosophy.
- [Design Development]
- Concept 1: Ultimate
- Concept 2: Streamline
- [Reverse Focus Group]The 2 concepts were presented to the focus group and individual form the potential target market for feedback.Following feedback and comparison with the Concept Design Brief that follows the research, new brand identity and philosophy, Concept 1: Ultimate was chosen for further development.
- [Final Concept]CAD Model and Render
- Medium Fidelity Prototype