- Revival of theEgyptian postage stamps
Bachelor project - April / June 2010
- Visual representation of a country is how this country represents itself to the whole world. Some countries are attentive and verywise concerning how their identity is represented to the rest of the world. Others want to give a certain impression even if it’s not true. One of the most famous and important ways of representing a country visually is the postage stamp.
A postage stamp is not only an adhesive paper that signifies that the sender paid the fees of the delivery of a letter. It became more valuable since it is representing the country, commemorating important occurrences and documenting the history of this specific country through visuals. You can know a country's history through their stamps. They are considered as the memories of any country; no one could live without memories since it helps to create the future.
- In this concern a multicultural country like Egypt is misrepresenting its identity through postage stamps. Egypt is not only the country of the Pyramids and Pharaohs; it has a lot to show to the world. Although our culture is part of our history, it is rarely presented in our postage stamps. The current Egyptian postage stamps are not presenting a variety of topics unlike the old ones, usually only the pharoanic heritage is presented.
The objective of this research is to achieve the best possible solution to revive the Egyptian postage stamps, in other words to create the memories of the future through interesting and attractive stamps.
- Below are some pages from the thesis:
- How to revive the Egyptian postage stamps and bring it back to the right track was the first question I asked myself and aimed to achieve. In the old times the Egyptian postage stamps used to please everyonebecause collecting them was more of keeping some personal concrete memories for the coming future.Comparing to nowadays not everyone is interested in stamps neither in collecting them like people in the past did. Accordingly I decided that my suggested solutions would be targeting the youth (18 years to latet wenties or early thirties) since it is one of the biggest segments in Egypt. As a result I started to think how could I make the stamps interesting for thisage group, how could I attract them and achieve at reviving the postage stampsin today’s time.To be able to answer these questions I started to ask myfriends and people from my target group about their interests what wouldattract them in a postage stamp. They all agreed aboutsarcasm, sense of humor, nostalgic funny things and creative topics. In addition they were giving common examples like Melody (an Egyptian TV channel)campaigns. These campaigns are targeting young people and always depending onthe sense of humor and sarcasm. Accordingly I decided to create a completely daring approach of the Egyptian postage stamps that would definitely please mytarget group.
- First category | CelebritiesThis category could seem very traditional but actually it's presenting Egyptian celebrities who gained their fame because of their stupidity and we always make fun of them.
- Second cateogry | CareersThis category is presenting the unique jobs that u won't find except in Egypt.
- Third category | TransportationIt is about what special and characterize the transportation in Egypt.
- Fourth category | Egyptian quotes and expressions.This category is presenting the egyptian quotes and the slang expressions that we commonly use in our daily conversations.
- Fifth category | EgyptThis category is showing only Egypt and the price, inspired from the old egyptian ones.
- Commemorative stampsI have chosen to present nostalgic, funny occurrences that make us laugh when we always remember them with the ridiculous rumors spread at these times.