- Quarles & Brady LLP Chicago
Office Design by Patricia S. Algiers & Associates, Inc.
- Quarles & Brady LLP relocated their Chicago office in April 2009. They leased a total of 75,000 square feet (SF) on the 40th, 50th and 51st floors of the Hines building at 300 North LaSalle Street. The space was selected based on location, square feet efficiency, leasehold costs, tenant improvement costs, operating costs, move and related costs, furniture and tenant improvement costs and overall appeal/brand alignment.
The space is certified Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) CI Gold. The design intent was to create a hospitality-minded client-centric space, adaptive to the continually changing problem-solving nature of a legal work environment, with the ability to reinvent itself continually over the course of the 15-year lease. In addition, Green was considered as a holistic concept in terms of client, legal team, and staff expectations; facility, protocols, operations, administration, brand, and culture.
The project team included:
Building Owner & Landlord: Hines / Project Oversight: Quarles & Brady LLP - John Peterburs / Broker: Camins Tomasz Kritt - Harvey Camins / Implementation Team: Quarles & Brady LLP - Courtney Landon, David Wilson; Patricia S. Algiers & Associates, Inc. - Patricia Algiers / Design Committee: Quarles & Brady LLP - Scott Watson, Patrick Bitterman, Jodi Pellettiere, Courtney Landon, David Wilson; Patricia S. Algiers & Associates, Inc. - Patricia Algiers / Project Designer & Client Representative: Patricia S. Algiers & Associates, Inc. / Architectural & Engineering Construction Documents and Administration, LEED Packaging: Epstein / Project Manager: Development Resources, Inc. / General Contractor: Skender Interiors Group / Primary Furniture Supllier: Steelcase, Inc. / Furniture Dealerships: Forrer Business Interiors; Business Office Systems / AV & Technology: Quarles & Brady LLP; JSO Technology; InfoCor Communications; CC & N
- Offices were designed to give Partners ample desk surface, significant in-office active client file storage, storage for personal files, a personal wardrobe, and cushioned alternative seating at the perimeter windows. Desk chairs are environmentally friendly and upholstered in faux leather. Guest chairs and cushioned seating are upholstered in sage, the accent color used throughout the space. Partners have one wall of aluminum slat surface and one wall to hang personal art. Patterned glass on the wall between the office and Secretarial and Legal Assistant area provides both privacy and light transfer. A day light lighting system with sensor controls is an energy saving feature. Partner Offices are sized at approximately 13’ 9” wide x 13’ 6” deep with eight corner offices to a floor.
- Partner Offices are standardized in both finishes and furniture. They are a study in contrast: dark chocolate quarter cut walnut, aluminum trim and white glass (used as white board surfaces). Walls are a light khaki and the quarter turned carpet squares are a similar tone with random dark chocolate stripes.
- Lookouts were created to provide additional natural light and give everyone an opportunity to experience views of the beautiful Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan. There are four lookouts on each of the attorney floors. They are located off of the open office area which houses Secretaries, Legal Assistant, Internal Work Areas and Satellite Libraries. All of this space was created with systems furniture – all located with a seamless ceiling above. A sound masking system was integrated to mitigate noise transference. Secretarial, Legal Assistant and Internal Work Rooms were designed with the same furniture finishes as the perimeter offices as well as the same carpet. Wall surfaces in the open area are an off-white low VOC paint which is the same shade as the perimeter double loaded files. The file system allows a maximum number of files to be accessible to attorneys on the same floor as their offices.
- Associate Offices are standardized in the same finishes as Partner Offices. Furnishings differ somewhat from Partner Offices, but the overall feeling is similar. Associates desks raise and lower from sitting to standing height. The offices offer the same amenities in terms of active client file storage, white glass cabinet fronts, personal wardrobe, and aluminum slat wall, cushioned seating at the window elevation, day light lighting system with sensor controls, and patterned glass walls that are found in Partner Offices. Associate Offices are sized at approximately 9’ wide x 13’ 6” deep.