- Student ShowProject Featured On:Student Show — 12/25/12
- The BIC Biro obvious choice for numerous reasons: The rich black ink is smoothly produced and has the ability to produce a wide range of shades when sketching, furthermore the tungsten carbide ball writes so reliably that the longevity of this pen is unparalleled to even that of expensive pens and cartridges. The widespread availability for the wide variety of refills makes sure that you’ll never be short of ink!
- Coming to Kickstarter UK as soon as the site releases.
- The inital concept of the pen was thought due to how often I had used and how widely avaliable they were. I wanted to create a premium product that highlighted the impecable quality of the cartridge refills. I went throught many iterations of the shaft's design but found that the prefurred form was the simple hexagonal barrel as similar to that of the classic biro.
- This project was a test for me as a young designer. To push the boundaries of crowdfunding and taking full advantage of the social commerce. A personal exploration through the advantagesof social media and word of mouth how they influenced a products success. I want to achieve a relationship with the user through the production period; creating a level of transparency during the development, tooling and shipping.
I had decided to use aerospace grade aluminum with a glass beadblasted + anodized finish. The similar process used for many high quality allumium goods such as laptops and music players. The nature of allumium in its raw state beadblasted without the black or clear annodisation creates a patina simialr to that of rings and watches faded through use and wear; creating an heirloom like quality to this durable piece.
- As standard were offering the ability to use the end cap as an iPad stylus. Neat!
- Photography by George Pearton
We're offering the pen in an array of colours, black, clear and charcoal. Once we have notice of our Kickstarter project feature we shall be offering an additional colour using the social commerce in the selection project offers a level of user engagement and participation something that will offer the user a sense of belonging to the brand.
- Compatible pen sizes, Large, Fine and Medium BIC Cristal biro's in the four original colours.
The three parts excluding the cartridge are perfectly weighted, the first test batches that were machined with 3D printed caps weighed just under the weight of other premium pens in the current market, with a weighted barrel the pen feels both solid in build quality and respective finish.
We've also taken the option to create a conductive silicone cap with the perfect amount of carbon to allow fully functional tactile precise input even with a solid end cap.
- Ideation + Prototyping.
During inital development of the pen I had a clear image to what I wanted to acheive months before I had constructed some sketches in my notebook for some inital concepts for a pen. Later on I would adapt my ideas from complex forms and shapes to a simple hexagonal barrel similar to the BIC however I wanted the cap to reflect an element performance not just a simple plastic hinge shodden for its ugly appeal and nature. My inspiration for the final cap design was drawn from the wearablity and style from premium stylish tie and money clips that often complement or add character to an outfit.
- Some Early Development Sketches, scribbles exploring assembly and possible forms for the final piece.
Special thanks to,
US Project Manager: Tanya Bogo
Film & Photography:
Directed and Edited: George Pearton
Assistant Director and Camera: H. Lewis
Director of Photography: George Pearton
Lyrical God (Julian Wright)
Coastin' by Cities Aviv (Gavin Mays)