- Primavera Sound 2013Building the festival's identity
- Primavera Sound is one of the biggest and smartest indie rock festivals in the world. It was first held in Barcelona, and there’s always been something very special and unique about this festival, mostly for the great relationship between the bands and the festival organisation. Since 2012 the festival has grown, with another Primavera Sound festival in Oporto, Portugal.In 2012 I was invited to design a visual identity capable of multiple options. One visual system for two festivals.
- To design for music is great. I do that every week and I never get bored of it. But then again, “to design for music” is a very broad concept. Lets say, if I’m asked to design a poster for the Rolling Stones concert, even if my approach moves away from the Stones’ graphic imaginary, I will always find something to pick at. By this I mean that everything related to the band can be a source of inspiration or a reference when the time comes to design for them. That being said, for an entire festival my approach was different, first of all to encompass all the bands and their styles. I had to think in a more generic way, focusing on the particularities of the whole. For this particular festival, it was very simple: it’s about music at large.The principle is an analogy between the 7 basic music notes and the 7 shapes of the tangram.
- Tangram, the ancient chinese puzzle, came out to be the perfect tool.So we started to compose visually as if we were composing a musical theme. You have 7 notes you can combine to create melody, harmony, sharps and flats and have as final result a composition.
This served well the need for a basic but versatile graphic system. It became a tool we then used to design different, but still related applications
- Custom tangram shapes
Primavera Sound 2013 – Barcelona
Optimus Primavera Sound 2013 – Porto———————————————————
- 300 meters lenght outdoors in Lisbon and Porto.
- ———————————————Art Direction + Graphic Design: André CruzPrimavera Sound – BarcelonaGraphic Design: Ana AyalaOptimus Primavera Sound – PortoGraphic Design: Rita Carapeto