- The Posillipo - Mostra d'Oltremare cableway stations in NaplesConservation and reuse of 1940 buildings of Neapolitan architect Giulio De Luca
- Cableway architecture value: place and function
" Architectural design settle in one place. It takes and gives meaning to that place. It assumes environmental condition whatever construction rules and urban character are."Cableway stations of Posillipo – MostraD’Oltremare Expò are mixed up with the numerous fragments of Modern architecture of undeniable value that characterize the site of West Naples.
On one hand, the lower station along Kennedy boulevard binds to itself the fragmentary character of modern architecture in the Flegrea valley, on the other, the upper cableway station along Manzoni street on the green Posillipo hill, is integrated with continuity to the natural environment.
Among Flegrea Valley modern architecture fragments, the exhibition complex of Mostra D’Oltremare stands both as architectural system of individual buildings and as complex structure of open spaces. According to restoration and reuse project design of lower station, the fence that closes the "urban fragment” of Mostra D’Oltremare Expò, becomes permeable.
Consequently the lower station marks a new side entrance to the urban exhibition system.In order to return its original value of park facility , the upper station absorbed by Posillipo greenery, becomes in turn, even if only visually, the extension of the natural component that is intrinsic of the exhibition area and connects the valley edge to the green hill. Upper station design gains value from the dramatic setting and its extraordinary view to Bagnoli former industrial site.
So if place is crucial to recognize value to cableway stations architecture , we cannot dispense to consider the question of how specific function determined architecture. Through the process of cognitive analysis of stations artifacts, investigating graphics and archive materials, it highlights the value of the form beyond the specific function
This study highlights the technical areas of architecture modeled around its specific function, but overall, the quality and unique nature of urban artifact. Although it is logical to think to return buildings to their original function, it is also more evident that this type of building might contain a plurality of functions as internal spaces are very flexible. Function cannot be the only "raison d'être" for cableway station architecture to avoid what Aldo Rossi called "naive" functionalism. Perceiving urban artifact as a mere matter of organization, it loses continuity and individuality.
- In these first two schemes it's been illustrated the way this thesis went through the method of "analysis and synthesis" of flegrea area from Mostra d'Oltremare Expò to Posillipo hill.Firstly it's been highlighted how the urban system of cableway stations and pylons relate with landmarks of Naples western area and urban voids of Cavalleggeri district.Secondly It's been synthesized how the area will be transformed in the next few years by a series of projects mainly concentrated in Bagnoli area which are a big urban park, residential developments with facilities and retails.Finally how radically the area around the cableway line changed in the last 50 years as the infrastructure was built in 1940 under the Fascism. An entire district has been built close to the 40m pylons which makes non feasible or realistic, even still attractive, the idea to re-use the aerial connection from Mostra d'Oltremare Expò to Posillipo hill.
- Place and project materials
Since place and function give value to the urban artifact, it is essential that the system is considered in its territoriality. This thesis aims to demonstrate that it makes sense to restore continuity and uniqueness of cableway infrastructure, re - placing its architecture wthin the wider relation network of Naples Western area.The site synthesis highlights empty weight of urban architectural elements which belong to the whole system as these gaps bind those many episodes of modern architecture and industrial archeology of the valley .The architecture domain to restore has been extended, enlarging investigation area from the urban scale to the territory one. Restoration does not only deal with individual parts one by one, but along the whole route of the cable car, strengthening the sense of crossing line continuity and the connection valley – hill.
Before getting to define design solution for individual parts, the assumption of this urban project is to stitch cableway traces as a connection between those urban areas to which they belong and design project for the voids. This is an exercise that will affect the entire aerial connection line, with the intention to restore the quality of urban areas affected by the intervention.
Primary subject is the relationship between urban fragments. You can then extrapolate from such complexity, elements called existing materials - that relates specifically to the line restoration project – and geographical materials taken from urban scene related to the project.By tracing the intervention area, it has been identified three distinct urban areas and within a number of elements in the area, willing to establish relations with the text (the cableway) in order to create a potential system text - context.
Therefore topics are three spaces:
1. Mostra D 'Oltremare – Kennedy boulevard
2. Cavalleggeri D’Aosta district
3. Posillipo hill