- Our Londinium 2012
A commission by the Museum of London.
Last year I was commissioned by the Museum of London to produce a series of illustrations as a visual identity for a new exhibition to coincide with the Olympics called ‘Our Londinium 2012′. They asked me to adapt my doodle style to incorporate modern day and roman objects to build a larger final image. The objects that would make up the final image were all chosen by the museum’s youth panel ‘Junction’. The same panel that chose the doodle style for the exhibition! (Cheers guys!). From the very start the nickname ‘The Doodlist’ was given to me, think it might catch on!
The illustrations were used for the marketing and internal displays of the exhibition which runs from 22 June 2012 until 2014. I thoroughly enjoyed working on this project and meeting the panel that have helped organise it all. Can’t wait to see it all come together!
“The Museum of London is working with young people and artists over two years to create bold and imaginative installations in its popular Roman Gallery and other key spaces in 2012.The project will feature new sculptures, creative films, animations and sound, witty and thought-provoking insertions of contemporary objects, drama performances, Latin-inspired poetry slamming and other exciting events…”
Guardian article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture-professionals-network/culture-professionals-blog/2012/mar/13/museums-junction-engage-young-people
Exhibition info here: http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/London-Wall/Whats-on/Exhibitions-Displays/Our-Londinium-2012/
- All the objects use to create the final images were chosen by the youth panel and are objects that are on display in the exhibition. The individual elements are shown below:
- Advertisement in the Evening Standard:
- Advertisement in the Metro paper:
- Die-cut postcards were handed out in various venues in London. These have a competition on them to win a pair of converse doodled on by me!
- Flyposting in London:
- The exhibition itself featuring my doodles used in and around the space along with some more illustrations I was commissioned to do featuring famous London landmarks including the london eye, st pauls, wembley stadium etc:
- And in the main foyer of the Museum of London is an animation I illustrated with some members of the youth panel 'Junction' who co-created the exhibition with the museum:
- Visit my site: http://www.ollygibbs.comVisit the Museum of London: http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/