- The name for ONO fabrics is derived from my last name, Simoneaux (pronounced sim-oh-no). There are two styles of fabrics within the brand: Habit, based on the migration of animals, and Chance, based on the migration of humans. The fabrics were used to make two kinds of backpacks, the form of the bag inspired by either human or animal migration.Backpacks, a symbol of traveling and migration, continue the overarching theme represented in the two styles of fabric.The bags and straps are sewn and produced by myself. The logo and tags were screenprinted onto recycled bicycle inner tubing, donated by Bike Slug, located in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
- The first is Habit, based on the migration of animals.
- Habitual migration, often seasonal or annual, is ingrained within the species.
It is prompted by food availability, mating reasons, or changing seasons.
Habit has a centered form, recalling the regularity of migration.Migratory species within the natural world, such as fish, butterflies, & birds
serve as inspiration in textiles created. The bags pictured are made with
fabrics based on fish roe and the patterns found within butterfly wings.
All linings are hand dyed and the straps are handmade with imitation leather.
- Tags were screenprinted onto rubber and sewn into the sides of the bags.
- The second is Chance, based on human migration.
Commonly prompted by external influences, migration by humans often represents a
longterm move rather than the habitutal and repeated migration of animals.
The asymmetrical form of the bags reflects the irregular patterns of circumstantial migration.
It can be used as either a backpack or a one shoulder cross-body bag, reflecting
the ability of humans to adapt to new surroundings.Textile designs for Chance are inspired by the methods, reasons, and modes
of human migration. The bags pictured are made with textiles based on navigation by
the night sky and airplanes as a means to migrate, as well as the trails they create.
- A custom font was created for use with ONO.
- Additional designs were created for both styles of ONO fabric.