- Nature-Based Play
Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool Decatur, Georgia
- Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool moved into its new home in Decatur this past August. The Thankful Missionary Baptist Church space near Avellino’s offers 11,000 square feet of outdoor playspace plus classroom facilities for the cooperative.
Through interactive design sessions, Smart Landscapes is working with the Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool community to develop their Master Plan for a new, interactive, nature-based playspace. The design features outdoor classrooms, rainwater elements, veggie garden, musical instruments, and plenty of options for inclusive, imaginative play. Space to hold fundraising events and community festivals give versatility to the design.Throughout design development, Smart Landscapes is collaborating closely with the OCP leadership and membership to match budgeting, phasing, and construction timelines to quickly begin making the playspace a reality.
- Learn more about Nature-Based PlayOn the Web:
- Natural Learning Initiative: http://www.naturalearning.org/
- Children and Nature Network: http://www.childrenandnature.org/
- Landscape and Human Health Laboratory: http://www.lhhl.uiuc.edu/research.htm
- Environmental Education Alliance of Georgia: http://www.eealliance.org/
- Environmental Education In Georgia: http://www.eeingeorgia.org/
Raingarden ResourcesSchool Ecosystems: www.schoolecosystems.infoStorm H2O & Schools: www.stormh2o.comShaw Nature Center (Missouri): www.shawnature.orgElkhart River Restoration: www.elkhartriverrestorationassociation.orgVirginia Department of Forestry: www.dof.virginia.gov/mgt/rfb/rain-gardens.htmVerbena Designs (Minnesota): www.verbenadesign.com
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder (Richard Louv)
- Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places (Gary Paul Nabhan & Stephen Trimble)
- Plants for Play: A Plant Selection Guide for Children’s Outdoor Environments (Robin Moore)
- The Play For All Guidelines: Planning, Design, and Management of Outdoor Play Settings For All Children (Robin Moore, S. Goltsman, & D. Iacofano)
- Earth In Mind: On Education, Environment, and Human Prospect (David Orr)