- Your Business Doctor
Copyright @ 2012 Antonio Lagarto All rights reserved
- "I help business locally and internationally to sustain their competitive edge, improve their business performance and profitability, by providing seasonal expertise in business, management and strategy consulting/advisory services, so that they can effectively and efficiently achieve their business objectives with guarantee."
- CONSULTING FOCUS
- STRATEGY - For scenario planning, overall direction and growth
- MARKET - For marketing and sales functions
- PEOPLE - For human resources issues
- OPERATIONS - For operational systems restructuring
- FINANCE - For accounting procedures and financial management
- PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Political and Business Strategies
- Strategy formulation and development
- Strategy planning and implementation
Political and Organizational Analysis
- Situation and scenario development
- Defensive strategy development
- Problem and decision analysis
- Potential problems and contingency analysis
Business and Organizational Re-Engineering
- Organization structure evaluation and design
- Resources evaluation and optimization
- Business and organization simplification
I was born in Portugal and I grew up in Lisbon. I enjoy tennis, golf and swimming. I also read and listen to music as well. I hold a Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering and in Business Administration and a Bachelors Degree in Computer Sciences.
In 1978 I was engaged by a large international consulting group as a senior international management consultant, in the field of business and political strategy consulting. Consulting projects were conducted in global terms with the emphasis on managing the African and South American markets. I undertook a variety of consulting work in several areas. These ranging from formulation and development of business and political strategies, advance scenario planning, multilateral planning programs for human development, streamlining organizational operations and lessening the social impact of structural adjustment, economical and social development, to organizational restructuring, organizational and operational effectiveness and organizational development.
Since 1992 I served clients as an independent management consultant-adviser, specializing in the areas of business and political strategies, business analysis, economical viabilities, profitability studies, resource's optimization, business simplification, mergers and acquisitions and privatization.
In 1999 I focused my international consulting and advising in the Asian region and within Singapore in particular. Acting as an independent, my professional services was primarily to assist and facilitate the development of bilateral international business opportunities and strategic trade relations, between the countries of South East Asia and those within Africa.
At the end of 2004 I was offered a partnership position to develop, establish, implement and manage an unique on-line business module concept in Asia being the central base in Singapore.
Since 2005 I am the CEO, founder and senior partner of Enterprise Support Asia Pte Ltd, an innovative on-line business management service designed for corporate and SME clients to access direct to a pool of local professional expertise covering a full spectrum of business disciplines.
I have over 28 years of international consulting experience and exposure in diversified projects-assignments, client-sectors, including countries and global locations. I have been providing business solutions to several clients, both locally and internationally. My consulting work has assisted many companies, businesses and organizations in various industries and sectors of economy, to effective restructuring, to grow their market share position, to sustain their competitive edge and increase their overall performance and profitability.
- RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Global Business and Social Development
- Business Policy Development & Planning in Africa
- Social and Economic Resources Development - Africa & Asia
- Global Business and Political Strategies
- Social Impact of Structural Adjustment in Africa & Asia
- Appointed as Honorary Consul - Countries in Africa
- MAJOR ASSIGNMENTS AND DEGREE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Government of Chad 1973/74 Chad and Paris
- Mining industry feasibility studies and strategy's development for the World Bank and UNDP (United Nations Development Program)
Government of Kenya 1974/75 Nairobi and London
- Several feasibility studies and strategy formulation and development for the World Bank.
ATT International 1978/79 New York and London
- Formulation and development of business and marketing strategies for the European Community.
Government of Zaire 1979/81 Kinshasa and Brussels
- Various feasibility and viability studies for the mining industry for the IMF (International Monetary Fund).
Mobil Oil Corporation 1983/84 Dallas and Johannesburg
- Consultation on regional situational analysis, and business organizational simplification and strategies.
Cabinda Golf Oil Company 1985/86 Luanda and Cabinda
- Organizational development, operational effectiveness and resources optimization.
Philips AG Group 1986/87 Johannesburg and Eindhoven
- Consultation on business analysis and organizational design and regional restructuring.
TAP Air Portugal 1988/89 Lisbon and Johannesburg
- Consultation on organization restructuring and formulation of international air routes strategies.
Atomic Energy Corporation 1989/90 Johannesburg & London
- Consultation on organizational structuring and business & management process's analysis.
Government of Namibia 1990/91 Windhoek and London
- Consultation on the formulation and development of the country's global business-political-trade strategies.
Lufthansa 1991/92 Johannesburg and Frankfurt
- Consultation on strategy development and joint venture negotiation between SA Airways and Lufthansa.
Radio Nacional de Angola 1992/93 Luanda and Lisbon
- Consultation on organizational analysis, restructuring and organizational development.
Ministry of Information Angola 1992/93 Luanda and Paris
- Consultation on organizational analysis, information security flow and organizational restructuring.
European Commission 1993/94 Luxemburg and Brussels
- Consultation on organizational analysis, restructuring and political impact analysis to the European Union.
Banco the Angola 1993/94 Luanda and New York
- Organizational restructuring and formulation and development of new business and operational strategies.
Government Agencies 1994/95 Kuala Lumpur and Accra
- Consultation on situational analysis and investment strategies for Africa
TAAG Airways 1994/95 Luanda and Lisbon
- Consultation on situational analysis, formulation and development of new human resources strategies.
Sonangol Oil Company 1995/96 Kuala Lumpur and Luanda
- Situational analysis, formulation and development of strategies for a new oil refinery in Angola.
Government of Angola 1995/96 Luanda, Lisbon, London
- Feasibility studies and top-level negotiations for the privatization of various state owned enterprises.
Government of Ghana 1996/97 Kuala Lumpur and Accra
- Formulation of global strategies for the privatization of various state owned enterprises.
Government of Malaysia 1997/98 Kuala Lumpur & Luanda
- Situational Analysis, viability studies and strategy formulation for a new off-shore bank facility in Africa.
MMC (Malaysia Mining Co) 1997/98 Kuala Lumpur and Accra
- Consultation on strategy development - join venture negotiation for major mining developments in Africa.
Government of Algeria 1999/00 Alger and Johannesburg
- Funding procurement strategy and negotiation with major banks for a major strategic national project.
SingTel Ltd 2001/02 Singapore and Johannesburg
- Consultation at a top-level negotiation for a join-venture on a satellite telecommunications system.
Government of South Africa 2002/03 Johannesburg and Pretoria
- Consultation and advising on major strategic investments for Black Empowerment in South Africa.
- Mining industry feasibility studies and strategy's development for the World Bank and UNDP (United Nations Development Program)
- CONSULTING AND ADVISING EXPOSURE
INDUSTRIES AND SECTORS OF ECONOMY
- Aircraft Manufacturing
- Atomic Energy
- Banking and Finance
- Capital Equipment
- Consumer Goods
- Engineering (Electrical)
- Engineering (Electronics)
- Engineering (Mechanical)
- Food Processing
- General Engineering
- Government (Central)
- Government (Local)
- Government Agencies
- Medical and Insurance
- Motor Assembly and Manufacturing
- Paper Products
- Research and Development
- Warehousing and Logistics
- CONSULTING PRACTICES EXPERIENCE
- Strategy Development
- Strategy Implementation
- Organizational Structuring
- Organizational Development
- Culture Change Management
- Information Technology
- Cost Reduction Programs
- Productivity Improvements
- Job Design and Evaluation
- Policy Design and Formulation
- Information Systems Implementation
- Resources Compensation Programs
- Management Development
- Human Resources Development
- QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Most often asked about consulting with Antonio Lagarto and his answers!
Q. We never hear about consulting with you. Why should we consult with Antonio Lagarto?
A. Maybe you should not! It is only a question of finances you spend versus the results you want to achieve.
Q. Don't consultants try to stay on forever?
A. Most consultants have as a major objective the enlargement of an engagement. What I do is to, solve the client's problem and get out as soon as possible.
Q. What is the major part of the consulting work?
A. It is usual people that have serious business problems. Or, people that want to improve their business performance to achieve their business objectives. Or, people that wish to expand their business operations into international markets.
Q. Tell me more !
A. People with business problems requiring assistance in troubleshooting their immediate business and management crisis. Advising on issues such as cash flow, strategic direction, human resources, sales or market share.
Or, people that are seriously concerned with their business performance and requiring assistance to achieve their business objectives.
Or, people that wish to expand their business internationally and requiring assistance to develop and implement meaningful strategies.
Q. How does it work?
A. If it is people with business problems requiring urgent troubleshooting assistance, I start out by having the client give me background information on his business problem. I listen for strengths for which the client does not really have full appreciation. I then develop the best possible solutions and advise the client with the immediate actions to be taken.
If it is people requiring assistance to achieving their business objectives, I start out by having an understanding of the client organizational profile. Then I conduct a business management analysis of the business, which includes individuals interviews, financial analysis, operational analysis and customer survey. The findings of the analysis are then presented to the client with the recommendations for implementation and for continuous improvement of the business.
If it is people that wish to expand their business internationally, I start out by obtaining from the client a clear vision of what he wants to achieve. I then develop that vision into a strategic and action plan. The plan is discussed and presented to the client with the recommendations for implementation. I negotiate also with international partners on the client's behalf.
Q. Most consultants produce only a nice report and I have to try to implement their reports. Do you get involved directly with the implementation and execution of changes?
A. Yes I do. I work with the client hands-on during any implementation to make it happen.
Q. I gathered that you work for people that have a business crisis; people wanted to improve performance and for people wanted to expand their business. Do you work with all of then at the same time?
A. No. My consulting approach, effort and time involved with clients are dependable as follows;
For clients with specific business problems my consulting effort and billing is conducted on a daily basis. Depending on the magnitude and impact of the problem, I assist the client solving the problem and get out as soon as possible.
For clients wanting to improve their business performance and achieve their business objectives, my work and billing is conducted on a monthly retainer continuous basis. I visit the client 4 times a month, weekly, for 2 hours a day, until the client no more requires my services.
For clients wanting to expand their business internationally, my consulting time and effort in on a project basis, previously discussed and agreed with the client.
Q. What other kinds of consulting you do?
A. I also offer to clients, consulting services that add value to their business. These include;
Business plan development, capital raising, negotiation and implementation.
Training in management, operations and system strategies, or marketing and sales.
Development of employee's incentive schemes, organization structures analysis and business processes evaluation, job evaluations and resources compensation programs.
Business expansion, on investigation of potential market opportunities, research, feasibility studies, strategic alliances, negotiation, contracts and implementation.
Q. I have a major concern and reservation that by hiring you, you may also work for clients, which are my direct competitors.
A. Because of professional ethics and conflict of interests, I never accept consulting work from any prospect client, that is a direct competitor to any of my clients.
Q. How long does it take?
A. The time of the consulting services offered by me are dependable on each client situation and issue, circumstances and specific requirements.
Q. If the client hires consulting services, is not that an expression of his own failures and limitations?
A. Not at all. For clients wanting seriously to improve their performance and achieve their business objectives, the services offered by me are focused on solutions for continuous improvement performance of the client business. This never can be achieved if I stay with the client just for a predetermined period of time. It will require on going frequency of synergy between myself and the client. A situation very similar to the approach of a medical doctor. This of course, up to a point when the client is fully satisfied and no more requires my services.
Q. How much it cost?
A. For each and every requirement I produce a full detail quotation which is agreed upon by the client. Cost is dependable of the time involved, the effort required and the nature, size and magnitude of the assignment or project.
Q. What other consulting charges are there?
A. In the case of clients with specific business problems there are no other charges. In the case of clients wanting to improved their performance and achieve their objectives there are no other charges except, any adding value services identified and require by the client. In the case of clients wanting to expand their business internationally, there are additional charges which include disbursements such as traveling, accommodation and other expenses, whenever applicable.
Q. What promises do you make?
A. I made no specific quantifiable promises of success, I always make sure that the client implements effectively my recommendations, therefore achieving successfully his main purpose of engaging my services.
Q. Sometimes a consultant impresses the client, but the client ends up with a junior and immature consultant.
A. I do the entire consulting services and any consultation or advising myself.
Q. When you meet with a client is there a common theme or comment?
A. Yes there is . I hear again and again;
"I should not have waited", "I should have consulted with you a year ago", "I wish I had met with you years a go."
Or some quotes;
"Its a pity that we took so long to get you in, we have a happy company and great business future prospects." "We are still learning after some years of your involvement." "At first I was skeptical but it was the best decision that we have made." "I now have control of my business and a whole new vision of the future."
Q. What do I do if I want to inquire about consulting with you?
A. Pick up the phone and call Antonio Lagarto at (65) 9172 8905
or email email@example.com